Thread: How To Find Collectables

Smile How To Find Collectables

Hi Guys

Having been brought up on the farm I was lucky enough to have had quite a few air guns in my youth, mainly British guns.

Now being a towny for over 20 years I would love to start collecting all the old guns I have had and more so some of the ones I have`nt.

I like the idea of learning how to restore them and general tinkering.

Could some of you kind gentle people give me some tips on where to find the guns, ie where to advertise, what books to read to learn what is what and any other general tips that you feel may be useful starting out and most importantly what to look out for so as not to get my fingers burnt.

I am really enjoying your wonderful site, particularly this section and am sure with a wee bit of help I will become a frequent contributor.

All The Best For 2008

Andy

hi andy, this site is as good as anywhere to buy your guns from, , my advice is to have a list of the guns you would like and then hold out for the best examples that turn up, dont be tempted to buy anything and everything, otherwise you will end up broke and then as always the one you have been really looking for turns up and you have no funds to buy it
    lots of guys on here are a brilliant source of information, i would be wary of buying without a few pictures and a decent description,
    might be worth letting people know what guns you are looking for,
    good luck,
    all the best
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

Welcome to the BBS Andy. Have a look at this thread for some links and this thread for ideas on which books to get.

Hi Andy,
    On here is an excellent place to look, you could place an ad/ads for the guns you're looking for also..it worked for me twice
    I've met a few chaps on here and was surprised at how freindly and helpful they were.
    I was in exactly the same situation as you when i joined this site and try to log back in every day now if possible.
    I never did worry about the little things...

collecting

Hi Andy
    This section of BBS has been the source of several of my Webley pistols and BSA rifles and is a friendly and safe place to buy or sell
    The Wanted Section has also proved useful to me and many others.
    It is surprising just how many old airguns are sitting arround in attics, cuboards and sometimes sheds and garages that are in need of a new owner who will spend a bit of time cleaning them or fully restoring them to former glory.

Many old airguns find their way to gunsmiths who buy them cheaply but are reluctant to overhaul them because of the time and other costs involved. So it is often worthwhile phoning or calling on local gunsmiths to see what they have in stock.You can pick up some lovely old airguns like this.

Paul's advice regarding having a list of those you would want to buy is well worth taking on board and half the fun is then searching for these old airguns

It does not take too long on here to get to know one or two collectors who may be able to help out and put you in touch with other sellers or info. on auctions of old guns.
    Best of luck
    John
    hold me back !!