Thread: Best pellets for Webley Jr. & Sr. ?

Best pellets for Webley Jr. & Sr. ?

On the presumption that collectors are also shooters please help.

I am fortunate in owning two postwar Juniors and one prewar and two postwar Seniors.I purchased them out of admiration for their quality of construction usually found only in high quality rimfire or centerfire pistols.

Given that where I live is experiencing close to record snowfall already this year I think my target shooting will be confined to indoor shooting for the next few months.

If airguns are like other projectile weapons they may have a prefernce for one type of ammunition over another in determining accuracy.

So please suggestions as to brand/type? I am in the US so if possible brands available from US suppliers would be best if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

George Morgan

Webley pistols

Hi George

Welcome to the BBS

We have quite a few shooters in our club who shoot these pistols at 10 metres and 20 yards, in fact we have weekly competitions with these old pistols

The Juniors struggle to group well at 20 yards but can match the Seniors at 10 metres
    Because of the low power of the Junior, it really prefers light weight pellets. 7 grain RWS R10' wadcutters come out at about 370-380 ft/sec and group into 2" when shooting at 10 metres

The Seniors in .177 are less pellet sensitive and perform well with any Match wadcutter including the humble RWS Hobby.I again use 7 grain R10's for the extra 25-30 ft/sec

In .22 cal., my Seniors shoot well with most quality round nose pellets. Air Arms and H&N FT Trophy are good. Bisley Practise wadcutters seem fine but Hobbys tend to be inconsistent and spread about a bit(although velocities are high)

If you have access to a chronograph, then it is interesting to compare different pellets and those giving consistent velocity figures are usually the more accurate

ATB
    john
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 03-01-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: welcome
    hold me back !!

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    H&N pellets also for me (.22). I only shoot the Webleys for fun but havre noticed I get the best results with these. Getting the best out of one of these old pistols is always a challenge but they can be remarkably consistent. ANyway just great pieces of enginnering to be able to use. Shame most modern pistols dont have the same heft. I also use a Cometa Indian, only .177, which is a beast of a pistol, but remarkably accurate once you get used to the sights. The over barrel cocking action (with a lever rather than the barrel itself) almost makes this a modern sucessor tot he Webley tradition (major fault plastic breech, yuck). I wonder if 'Webley' will ever see sense and manufacture these great guns again.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I'm quite happy with Webley Mosquito Express in my old Webley rifle. They fit the criteria of bing a relatively lightweight pellet. The should be available to you in the US as JSB Exact Express.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Many thanks

Thanks for all the information !!!

Regards

George Morgan