Thread: What load?

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

What load?

I've just bought a Pietri Remington .44 calibre cap and ball revolver and am looking for a starting point for loads, as I have never used this type of weapon before.

How does 25 gr (weight) FFFg sound for starters?

Also, I believe that the chambers have to be sealed with grease to prevent flashovers and chain firing. What is the preferred sealant nowadays?
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Hi,

over here 1.6 grain per mm barrel-diameter (Caliber) is regarded as a good point to start with on short guns ( pistols & revolvers). What means about 18 grain in your case. Personally I've found that those guidelines are a little bit to low but its better to start low and add, than to start to high.
    Also there are some differences from label to label. I prefer Swiss BP for its fast, while others prefer slower BP for its softer whilst shooting.

Cheers Jochen
    Indeed she said tie me up and do what ever you like and so I did. I tied her to the bed and went out fishing

Jochen

Thanks for your response Jochen, I appreciate it.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

The originals shot bullets rather than balls, the bullets came c/w powder wrapped in greased paper, you simply stuck it in the chamber then rammed. Except Adams who wrapped in metal foil, you had to pop the back end off to expose tissue paper beneath.

OTOH, original chambers were tapered to give a tight fit, repro's are cylindrical. Don't ask me why. You know you have the right bullet mould for an original when the bullet tip is a perfect fit in the end of the rammer.

I'm not a great believer in flashover at the front. With the cylindrical chamber you should shave lead on loading and get gas tight. IMHO multi cylinder discharges, very rare, are much more likely due to caps coming off and flashover at t'other end. Any grease you plaster in there will all come out with shot #1 and make an icky mess.

Thanks

Thanks Robin

The Bosun's Watch

It will depend on whether you are using BP or 777.

I am using 12gr in my .44 at the mo, thats about as low as you want to go but I intend to increase to 15gr. Max is about 28gr for lots of noise and smoke.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I regularly shoot a .44 Rogers and Spencer. My most accurate load is 24 grains of Kranks medium (ffg). For lube, I seal the chambers with a mixture of beeswax and tallow. 4 parts tallow to 1 part beeswax summer and 5 to 1 in winter. Do not go too low on the powder or your rammer will not be long enough to seat the ball on the powder. There must be no air gap in a black powder load. Many people use a filler such as semolina powder on top of their BP to bring the ball up to the face of the cylinder, I have tried this and found no difference though more than a few swear by it. Try a starting load of 18gr and work up from there, you will notice a spread of shot when you have gone too far. As this is your first handgun you need to realise that you must aim differently from a rifle. Your focus needs to be on the foresight with the target a blur. Flinching is natural, but if you can train yourself to see the muzzle flash you can eliminate it. If using a two handed hold let your left hand (if right handed) take all the weight and use the right purely for steering. Do not grip too tightly and allow the gun to roll when shooting.
    Best of luck
    Fred

Bullet?

Thanks Smokelesscoal, is that with ball or bullet? What do you use to seal the front of the chambers against flashover?

The Bosun's Watch

Ball or conical. Always use a wad with ball, I often dont with conicals because they have a better seal/contact area.

I dont over ball grease because my range dont allow it. As said before, I feel the biggest risk of chain fire is across the nipple holes.

BP should be lightly compressed, 777 should not be compresses just seat the ball to not leave an air gap.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane