Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40SF

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!

Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40SF

92% light transmission
    Hand-turn 1/4-MOA adjustments (6-18 has 1/8 MOA adj and 1x20 has 1/2 MOA adj)
    Quick focus eyepiece
    Long range models are now fitted with side focus adjustment (SF). Guaranteed water/fog/shock proof
    Backed by Nikon's Lifetime Full Warranty
    Includes multi-use Fog Eliminator cloth

TECHNICAL SPECS:
    FINISH: MATTE
    RETICLE: MIL DOT
    MAGNIFICATION: 4.5-14X
    EXIT PUPIL: 8.9-2.9MM
    EYE RELIEF: 3.7-3.6"
    FIELD OF VIEW: 19.9-6.8'
    TUBE DIAMETER: 1"
    LENGTH: 14.4"
    WEIGHT: 17.6OZ
    ADJ GRADUATION: 1/4MOA
    PARALLAX SETTING: 50yds - infinity

Hey, I just thought I should share my delight with you good people

Today i received my Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF that I purchased off of a very nice gentleman on here going by the alias of davestate, thanks very much mate.

I have read through all of the paperwork that came with this scope, I don't usually do this, but thought a scope of this quality deserved it I have also given the lenses a good rub with the anti-fog whipe that came with it before it gets any water marks or dust on it.

When I first removed the scope from its original packaging I was delighted to see that I have chosen the right optics to compliment my FAC Rapid.

The quality of the construction is fantastic and has a lovely solid feel to it, the turret caps are not sloppy and a nice size (without being too big) to cover the finger grip adjustable turrets (these can be reset when the zero is found).

I have just turned the turrets a few clicks and I am really pleased with the positive click and solid feel along with the fact that you have to put a reasonable amount of torque to move them (not too much, just enough, they feel very solid and crisp).

The saddle focus ring is marked with 50, 60, 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 500 & 1000yds and infinity.
    The distances between the 50, 60, 75, 100 & 150yd markings is quite substantial so will enable to give a reasonable range estimation and should allow a pretty quick focusing time that will be spot on.
    The movement of the SF is very smooth and again needs a reasonable amount of pressure (not too much, not too little) to turn, I must add this is not clunky and doesn't skip at all, there is nothing sloppy about its function at all.

Now onto the variable mag ring, this again is shaped nicely in with the scopes sleek appearance and does not come accross as obtrusive or ugly, this has been designed into the scope, rather than being stuck on the design of a fixed mag scope as an afterthought.
    the movement of this is, again, very smooth. It seems to me as if the manufacturers have set everything on this scope to require the correct amount of torque for everything, size to torque ratio on all adjustments feels equal. On the mag ring the numbers are debossed/etched very clearly and coloured in gold. The number 12 on the mag ring also has the word MIL next to it as the mildots are true at this setting.

Now down to the fast focus ocular bell, the movement in this setting is perfectly balanced along with the rest, very smooth and precise in its rotation and solid enough to seem to withstand accidental knocks or movement, so there should be no problems with it moving once set.

The overall look and feel of this scope is one that highlights the scopes quality, the matt black finish is fairly thick so should hold up to everyday usage without looking tatty on the finger grips or edge of the objective bell.
    There is around 70mm of scope towards the ocular bell, to position your mount with around 60mm between the turrets and start of objective. This should allow plenty of play to get the right mount configuration even with scope mountable lamp.

The mildot ret is reasonably thin and does not appear to obscure the target, it has a (what looks to be) reflective surface of silver in some light, with certain head positions.

I have only tested the lenses in the office, just having a quick scan about, but they seem to be very bright and the clarity and contrast seem fantastic.

Unfortunately I cant compare this with high end optics, but I have to say that this seems to be the best set of optics I have owned to date, I am now looking forward to getting it mounted and testing it out in my usual shooting scenarios.

Will report back on how the optics seem to perform in bright, dark and damp conditions as soon as I get the chance to go shooting
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical

I've got two of these, one bought new, from here and the other second hand from here.

For the price, a really nice, bright and robust scope. One is on 243 and as had lots of rounds down it, the other is not on a rifle as yet but will probably go on my 17

does anyone know about the correct procedure to re-parallax these to shorter distances?

Usually you would remove the objective ring, wind the lens housing out a little then replace the ring.
    The objective ring on this seems to be the lens housing.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'd guess there is a moveable lens carrier inside the bell housing, but have never taken one apart to look
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Nice review!

I had one of these a while back, superb scopes and one I shouldn't have sold. Shouldn't have sold the 97k custom it was sitting on either...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I have seen your ads in the wanted section mate.

Imagine I unscrew the front ring, the ring does not unscrew from the lens housing, but the lens housing seems to be fixed to this ring

I notice, that doing this does reparallax the scope if I unscrew leaving around 1mm between the objective ring and the edge of the bell. I will not mess about with it as I don't want to bugg er it up.

the only other thing I was thinking of doing was doing the above mentioned, putting tape over the gap, then pushing a butler creek over the top. Crude I know but will work and I don't run the risk of ruining the original settings in relation to the saddle focus.

I actually googled it and someone in the US has done this. What are your oppinions please?

I was pointing it out of my window today, from a bright kitchen, through my living room and out to the house opposite at 50yds. It was amazing how clear these optics are, and even at 7.40 this morning (still pretty dark) could pick out the pattern on the brickwork clearly.

The optics were nice and sharp, even to the edges on 14x mag, the depth of field is superb too. when focussing on the target, it is obvious by the objects in either the foreground or the background what your target is because the clarity of the object in focus really stands out amongst the rest.

I think, just from my primary tests, this is going to be a nice set of optics indeed, Just a shame I can't re-parallax the way I would like

More to come once I have put it through its paces
    Last edited by funkedup; 10-01-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Right, that baby boa thing has confused me.
    EDIT: I googled baby boa, I have loosened it no problem, but the lens housng must be part of it.

so are you saying I should loosen the front ring (external case) or the ring with slot each side infront of the lens itself? I always thought these rings just held the lens in place. I aint touching this if so, and will just live with the gap.

Seriously, the tread turns out when I unscrew the front casing ring and you can see the lens itself rotate with the front ring. I am not explainig this very well at all, but just to clear it up, the lens isn't loose but (seems) fixed to the front ring.

Can nobody clear this up for me so I can stop pulling my hair out?

Trev,

It's probably 2 years ago that I re-p/x'd one and if memory serves me well its a case of slackening the retaining ring then use a tool (steel ruler in my case) to turn out the lens housing. Finish off by tightening the retaining ring to close the gap and job done.

If you can't move the len housing, maybe they use glue nowadays, but it was certainly loose one the one I did.

HTH...
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Hi Dave, cheers for the advice.

It seems to me that the lens housing is all glued into the objective ring. So it looks like I will have to keep it as is.

Not a bother though, I will just keep it on minumum.

Cheers
    Trev

I've got one of these and couldn't shift the locking ring despite several attempts

I ended up leaving the objective housing unscrewed by around 1/2 a turn which seems to do the trick for airgun ranges, and have had no problems with internal fogging etc.

Richard

you will not disturb the internals by turning out by up to 1mm, as the thread is so tight and coated in grease plus the fat there is possibly 60mm worth of threads

But I am leaving it as they don't seem to be re-parallaxable

Only downside so far. I will do as stated earlier and wind it out 1mm, seal with tape and put a Butler Creek over it for added security and weather proofing.

parallax

whats the lowest range the scope will parallax down to
    cheers paul

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
    I'd guess there is a moveable lens carrier inside the bell housing, but have never taken one apart to look
    There is. Very easy to do. the only reservation I have is the comment that now the front element appears to be glued in place. Mine certainly wasn't. I followed the process as outlined by Davestate and wound the minimum distance down to 10 metres which was fine.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

the minumum focus on 14x mag is 50yds but at 7 (which I use most the image is clear at 20yds.

I am NOT going to mess with it, as said, it seems to be glued in place now, DOH! but never mind.

I done ok last night shooting targets at 25yds, so I am fine with it at 7x/8x mag. If I require the higher end of the mag settings it will be for paper punching at longer ranges.