Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quietening down an ABS Jackal stock.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!

Quietening down an ABS Jackal stock.

I know there are a few Jackal owners on here, namely Pad E, Gareth W-B, that young ruffian DaveUK and no doubt others who have owned these enigmatic and presently (2008) less than Polictically Correct old classics in the past. I owned a highpower back in the early to mid 80's and found it very noisy due in part to the hollow ABS stock resonating during the firing cycle, acting almost like a drum due to its hollow casting/injection moulding. This it seems was an easy fix back then and from advice given by a fellow Jackal owner, I took the butt plate off and filled the cavity with expanding foam or something of that nature back then. This did make some difference, but didn't alter the balance being extremely lightweight, but was a bit permanent. Now due to the classic/period nature of these old rifles a tad too permanent.
    I was wondering if any present/ex Jackal owners tried the same type of remedy back then. I was going to cut and shape some polystyrene packing and try this as it will be easy to remove if desired at a later date and will hopefully accomplish a similar purpose to the expanding foam due to its similar properties.
    This was obviouly not a problem with the wooden stocked actions like the Mistral/Camargue. Just a little, some may say unnecessary tweak, but worth it IMHO .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

windowrest is offline I may be quick but never flippant
    Do the same again, but shove a plastic bag in first, then you have a layer to stop the foam sticking to the stock.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

edit: double post, sorry.
    Last edited by DCL_dave; 15-01-2008 at 09:50 AM.

hi,

you could just try stuffing loads of bubble wrap inside the stock...may make a difference?

edit: you could try shoving a load of that oasis stuff-(think that's what it's called?) the stuff they use to stick flowers in, it's very light weight and should be easy to removed in the event of...

cheers,
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by windowrest View Post
    Do the same again, but shove a plastic bag in first, then you have a layer to stop the foam sticking to the stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    hi,

you could just try stuffing loads of bubble wrap inside the stock...may make a difference?

edit: you could try shoving a load of that oasis stuff-(think that's what it's called?) the stuff they use to stick flowers in, it's very light weight and should be easy to removed in the event of...

cheers,
    dave
    Cheers for the input lads, tried bagging the foam, didn't quite work out .

The bubble wraps a simple idea Dave it may work .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    i lined my stock with clingfilm and used a soft painting ( picture) brush and a hair dryer to get the clingfilm in to as much as i could then added the expanding foam and the cling film acts as a barrier
    i`ve also cast some expanging foam blocks in a cracker tin then after a week ( it takes ages to dry like this ) then cut it to shape ,
    i wouldn`t use oasis as it breaks down with time and vibration and the bits get everyware

cheers
    jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

Memory

I wonder if memory foam may quieten it down? stop my bed from banging about a bit
    Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

What I did with my Jackal was stuffed the butt very tightly with material, like small pieces of a cut up T shirt packed in as tight as possible right to the brim.This I found effective also in the dummy mag (if yours has one) .I did the same around the underside barrel part of the stock this worked to a degree but looked a bit naff so I cut some foam pipe lagging and put that there instead ,this sounds a bit Heath Robinson but it works and is totally removable, also I stripped it down and did a relube didn't make much difference on the noise level but was smoother to shoot.
    Hope this helps
    Mark..

Quote Originally Posted by targetmark View Post
    This I found effective also in the dummy mag (if yours has one) .I did the same around the underside barrel part of the stock this worked to a degree but looked a bit naff so I cut some foam pipe lagging and put that there instead ,this sounds a bit Heath Robinson but it works and is totally removable.
    Mark..
    Sadly mine hasn't got the mag, I live in hope though . I found your comment on added sound proofing further up the stock interesting because had not considered this. I just happen to have some foam pipe lagging and will try this cheers .

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Sadly mine hasn't got the mag, I live in hope though . I found your comment on added sound proofing further up the stock interesting because had not considered this. I just happen to have some foam pipe lagging and will try this cheers .
    Hi gary.

One of my Jackals had foam in the fore end,middle section, when I got it. To me I noticed a little difference. The main noise problem with these are the Twang from the spring. Like I said to you before some are more twangy than others. The anti bear trap is also real noise you can understand why alot of people took that out as well. & again some of my Jackals have the bear trap & some don't.

When we meet at Kibbers you can try out all the ones I bring, so you can see the differences for your self.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post
    Hi gary.

One of my Jackals had foam in the fore end,middle section, when I got it. To me I noticed a little difference. The main noise problem with these are the Twang from the spring. Like I said to you before some are more twangy than others. The anti bear trap is also real noise you can understand why alot of people took that out as well. & again some of my Jackals have the bear trap & some don't.

When we meet at Kibbers you can try out all the ones I bring, so you can see the differences for your self.

Regards
    Paddy.
    Thanks Pad , doe us a favour buddy, PM me those schematic diagrams again. Looks like I'll be stripping another Jackal soon. Deleted the last ones by mistake. Got the spring twang right down on mine, I'll leave the anti beartrap to keep it as original as poss. I know filling in the butt lessens the noise somewhat, gotta give it a try further up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Thanks Pad , doe us a favour buddy, PM me those schematic diagrams again. Looks like I'll be stripping another Jackal soon. Deleted the last ones by mistake. Got the spring twang right down on mine, I'll leave the anti beartrap to keep it as original as poss. I know filling in the butt lessens the noise somewhat, gotta give it a try further up as well.
    Hi Gary sending you PM.

Fair play to you with the work that you have put into your Jackal.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

you could always put a gas ram into it, mine does not resonate now but that comes at a cost

Quote Originally Posted by adymorris View Post
    you could always put a gas ram into it, mine does not resonate now but that comes at a cost
    I've considered in getting a gas-ram fitted to one of mine, but like you said it does come at cost. Never shot a gas ram it supposed to have a totally different shooting characteristics to a springer?
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I thought the hollow-stock resonance BANG was a design feature to make the rifle sound more powerful.

It's part of the Jackal mystique, which was definitely a one-shot, one kill rifle as all the other vermin within a 2 mile radius would be scared off by the noise it made.

Do you use it for hunting?

What about getting some of that polystyrene loose packing stuff (sort of like big breakfast cereal) and packing that tightly into the stock with some kind of ramming device like a broomhandle?

Baikal use SAND in their plastic stocks, but as you say this will alter the balance. I think heavier material would make for better damping however, can't think of a good 'un at the moment... maybe something like dried green lentils or brown rice? Not as daft as it sounds, they pour well and you should be able to get them out again with a vacuum cleaner.