Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP pistols query please

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    well Ive done it john paul, shot 50 rounds this morning absolute magic, tried 12 grains 777 and topped up with semolina, 357 balls from Kranks and CCi no 11 caps, had a problen with the spent caps falling in the mechanism and jamming but then turned the gun upside down when I cocked the hammer for the next shot that cured that, shot very high about 10" at 20 yards but can live with that while I try different loads, found putting caps on fiddly but really enjoyed the experience, once again thanx for all your help, cheers Tezz
    To help with putting on the percussion caps, get a capper, its a tool that holds about 15 caps, and makes fitting them simple.

Barrel length has noting to do with accuracy.

It is however easier to keep a rifle still when it has a longer barrel and due to the additional weight it suffers less from muzzle flip/jump (That’s why target rifles has heavy barrels). In certain cases longer barrels is less accurate due to the powder burning off too quickly.

BP rifles need longer barrels in order for the powder to completely burn before the projectile leaves the barrel.

The topic will probably forever be debated so you’ll have to make up your own mind if it suits your purpose.

Personally I prefer shorter barrels.