Thread: BP pistols query please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question BP pistols query please

am I right in thinking that when firing a BP pistol a shorter barrel is more accurate than a longer barrel because its slower to fire,meaning it starts to recoil as the powder ignites but before the ball has left the barrel if you see what I mean, so in theory will shoot high, but my mate says all longer barrels are more accurate than shorter ones no matter what gun is used, cheers Tezz

A longer barrel is inherently more accurate, especially if rifled, however, if you can't handle the recoil then it will be less accurate. It does take the BP a fraction longer to burn than smokeless. This is why follow through is more important with BP weapons, especially flinters. Over 25 yards there's not much in it, but if trying for longer distances you'll possibly notice the difference.

Thumbs up BP pistol

thank you kind sir, I have a slot for a .36 and ive allways wanted a Colt revolver so I am going to buy a Uberti, the one I wanted was an 1862 police, Kranks have one in with a 5-1/2" barrel but I wanted a 6-1/2, I will only be shooting at 25 yards so I wasn`t sure whether to hang on or go for it, been using my mates Starr 44 double action but I am still going for the Colt, thanx for your help, cheers Tezz

Wink

I have a Euroarms Target Remington s/s in .44 (8 inch barrel), and a Pietta Colt Navy 1861 Sheriff in .36. I like the Remmie, but the Colt is the sweetest to shoot it may not have target sights, but when I do my part on a good day I can get 3 inch groups at 20 yds.
    In general the Colt is easier to replace parts i.e. hand and spring etc...
    When getting your pistol you want to get some spares from Kranks, if using it a fair amount you will find things break and wear out. The parts of these repro pistols are not made from very good quality steel. Note though parts are cheap...

Thumbs up BP pistol

thanks johnpaul,been having a go with different pistols at my club, various models, even hit the black with a Ruger old army 44 at 25 yards, decided to get a 36 Colt type and use it this year and if it works out OK go for a 44 with target sights next year, know there messy but what fun, cheers Tezz

Thumbs up here it is

Uberti 1862 Colt Police .36 cal, 5,1/2 barrel,