Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP pistols query please

Question BP pistols query please

am I right in thinking that when firing a BP pistol a shorter barrel is more accurate than a longer barrel because its slower to fire,meaning it starts to recoil as the powder ignites but before the ball has left the barrel if you see what I mean, so in theory will shoot high, but my mate says all longer barrels are more accurate than shorter ones no matter what gun is used, cheers Tezz

A longer barrel is inherently more accurate, especially if rifled, however, if you can't handle the recoil then it will be less accurate. It does take the BP a fraction longer to burn than smokeless. This is why follow through is more important with BP weapons, especially flinters. Over 25 yards there's not much in it, but if trying for longer distances you'll possibly notice the difference.

Thumbs up BP pistol

thank you kind sir, I have a slot for a .36 and ive allways wanted a Colt revolver so I am going to buy a Uberti, the one I wanted was an 1862 police, Kranks have one in with a 5-1/2" barrel but I wanted a 6-1/2, I will only be shooting at 25 yards so I wasn`t sure whether to hang on or go for it, been using my mates Starr 44 double action but I am still going for the Colt, thanx for your help, cheers Tezz

Wink

I have a Euroarms Target Remington s/s in .44 (8 inch barrel), and a Pietta Colt Navy 1861 Sheriff in .36. I like the Remmie, but the Colt is the sweetest to shoot it may not have target sights, but when I do my part on a good day I can get 3 inch groups at 20 yds.
    In general the Colt is easier to replace parts i.e. hand and spring etc...
    When getting your pistol you want to get some spares from Kranks, if using it a fair amount you will find things break and wear out. The parts of these repro pistols are not made from very good quality steel. Note though parts are cheap...

Thumbs up BP pistol

thanks johnpaul,been having a go with different pistols at my club, various models, even hit the black with a Ruger old army 44 at 25 yards, decided to get a 36 Colt type and use it this year and if it works out OK go for a 44 with target sights next year, know there messy but what fun, cheers Tezz

Thumbs up here it is

Uberti 1862 Colt Police .36 cal, 5,1/2 barrel,

That's one hell of a gun pard.. Standard barrel from pic? Very nice, just luv that fluted cylinder.

Question Uberti police .36

yes its a cracker JP, cant wait to shoot it, can I ask you some advice ? pyrodex or triple 777, what size balls for a .36 and which caps #10 or #11 ? going to order from Kranks cheers Tezz

I use Pyrodex P in my .36 with number 11 Remington caps .375 balls. Making my own balls now for the .36 and .44 sooooo.. easy and cheaper. The price of factory balls has risen dramatically, once you have bought your mould, laddle and pot your away.

The load I have settled on with the .36 is 18g by volume i.e. from flask and 18g nozzle. You could get a brass measurer from Kranks and experiment, I think 18 g is about right for 25 yds anything over 22g is pushing your luck.

Now 777 about 25% more powerful than Pyrodex P and real black powder, volume of Pyrodex P equates to the same as proper black, I use 24g 777 in my .44 - this seems to prefer 777..

What you may find with Pyrodex if using a lower amount by volume 15 - 16 g there is a slight delay - I did.

Regarding cleaning I was told that Pyrodex was a pain in the neck and more corrosive - which it is. I clean both guns within about one hour of use, and never had any problems with rust - DON'T LEAVE FOR THE NEXT DAY.

Regarding price of 777 last tub I bought was about £36.00 first tub I bought of this was about £19.00 - about x5yrs ago. Now Pyrodex not sure of exact price because I was given a few tubs by guy's packing up, I think its about the £20.00 mark.

If sending away to Kranks don't forget some spares i.e get a few hands, trigger fork springs.

End of ramble mate, safe shootin and enjoy.

I use 18g of 777 in my .36, its a faster burn than Pyrodex, and easier to clean.
    777 about £35, Pyrodex about £25.

Enjoy your BP shooting.

Thought you might like to see a picutre of my pistols.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking BP pistols

thanx alot guys really appreciate the tips, ready to rumble cheers Tezz

Interesting thread, its been years since I bought any powder but it seems to have gone through the roof in price. Pyrodex was only just coming on the market when I packed up shooting so I never did get to try it.

Back to the original thoughts on recoil etc I bought a flintlock pistol where there is a noticeable time delay in flash to bang. When I first tried shooting this I was all over the place as the flash and anticipated recoil was making me move the pistol. In the end I did master it and this continued to help a lot with spring air pistol shooting.

Allan

Long barrels are always more accurate than short barrels.

They are closer to the target

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Thumbs up BP shooting

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    I use Pyrodex P in my .36 with number 11 Remington caps .375 balls. Making my own balls now for the .36 and .44 sooooo.. easy and cheaper. The price of factory balls has risen dramatically, once you have bought your mould, laddle and pot your away.

The load I have settled on with the .36 is 18g by volume i.e. from flask and 18g nozzle. You could get a brass measurer from Kranks and experiment, I think 18 g is about right for 25 yds anything over 22g is pushing your luck.

Now 777 about 25% more powerful than Pyrodex P and real black powder, volume of Pyrodex P equates to the same as proper black, I use 24g 777 in my .44 - this seems to prefer 777..

What you may find with Pyrodex if using a lower amount by volume 15 - 16 g there is a slight delay - I did.

Regarding cleaning I was told that Pyrodex was a pain in the neck and more corrosive - which it is. I clean both guns within about one hour of use, and never had any problems with rust - DON'T LEAVE FOR THE NEXT DAY.

Regarding price of 777 last tub I bought was about £36.00 first tub I bought of this was about £19.00 - about x5yrs ago. Now Pyrodex not sure of exact price because I was given a few tubs by guy's packing up, I think its about the £20.00 mark.

If sending away to Kranks don't forget some spares i.e get a few hands, trigger fork springs.

End of ramble mate, safe shootin and enjoy.
    well Ive done it john paul, shot 50 rounds this morning absolute magic, tried 12 grains 777 and topped up with semolina, 357 balls from Kranks and CCi no 11 caps, had a problen with the spent caps falling in the mechanism and jamming but then turned the gun upside down when I cocked the hammer for the next shot that cured that, shot very high about 10" at 20 yards but can live with that while I try different loads, found putting caps on fiddly but really enjoyed the experience, once again thanx for all your help, cheers Tezz

Talking

I find Remington number 11 caps don't break up as much as CCI, less problem with bits falling into the working parts, however recently tried MAGNUM CCI's and these seemed fine.
    You'll find b/p pistol shooting very much down to experimentation and practice - that's part of the enjoyment.