Thread: "Hunter" Scopes

"Hunter" Scopes

Having just received one of these as part of a Hw35e combo deal with Jon (Buddyboy, who btw is an excellent chap to deal with) and taking a guess that it falls under the collectables category considering the lack of info available on the bbs and google, does anyone know anything of the history of these scopes?

I'm mostly just wondering if it's a vintage scope or a modern one, and about the unusual shape of the reticule (perhaps it was made specifically for the Japanese market (sorry ) and was wondering whether it served a purpose or was just a gimmick at the time.

Thanks all.

The scope has a mask to create a 'wide angle' effect, quite a fashion in the 80's. The fine duplex ret is very similar to the one in a Bushmaster scope I have of the same sort of age. The only scope I have that is better in low light is a Kahles.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    The scope has a mask to create a 'wide angle' effect, quite a fashion in the 80's. The fine duplex ret is very similar to the one in a Bushmaster scope I have of the same sort of age. The only scope I have that is better in low light is a Kahles.

Rich
    Thanks Rich, I was beginning to think I smell or summat. So the wide angle effect was just basically a gimmick then. It does have pretty nice optics though.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    I had a Hunter 4 x 28 for quite a few years in the 80's fitted to a BSA Mercury, it was a very good scope for the money, i dont think they were particularly expensive.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Sometimes referred to as a TV view. I have a Tasco Golden Antler scope from the late eighties/early nineties with it.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Thanks chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Thanks Rich, I was beginning to think I smell or summat.
    No problem, but now you mention it........

Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Thanks Rich, I was beginning to think I smell or summat. .

Kev Hughes says you smell of Sheep POOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I can say I'm surprised with all that wools stuck trouser zip .

YOU POSTED THAT ESPECIALLY FOR ME DIDN'T YE, OH WELSH MUNCHKIN AND BBS DRUID .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Kev Hughes says you smell of Sheep POOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I can say I'm surprised with all that wools stuck trouser zip .

YOU POSTED THAT ESPECIALLY FOR ME DIDN'T YE, OH WELSH MUNCHKIN AND BBS DRUID .

I have a Hunter 3-9 x40 which I think was a branded import. Possibly a Jap Bushnel ???? Anyway the optics are first class similar to an Optima. I don't think they were that expensive.

Wide angle TV was a Weaver idea with a shaped front bell; though clones were just a mask to give the effect. In truth they loose light and are no real aid to shooting straight as the human eye is better at dealing with centering circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I have a Hunter 3-9 x40 which I think was a branded import. Possibly a Jap Bushnel ???? Anyway the optics are first class similar to an Optima. I don't think they were that expensive.

Wide angle TV was a Weaver idea with a shaped front bell; though clones were just a mask to give the effect. In truth they loose light and are no real aid to shooting straight as the human eye is better at dealing with centering circles.
    Again, thanks for the info.