Thread: The Wildcat Moderator

The Wildcat Moderator

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...dator-full.jpg
    Well I have been asked again to review a moderator,this time its the wildcat predictor 8.
    But this time I did things a little different,I actually went to see the hole manufacturing process,All the parts are made in house,right here in the UK, Andrew the owner of wildcat moderators says that at the moment there cnc lathes and cnc milling machines are running at about 75% capacity. The hole operations seemed to be running very smooth, the only thing that is not done in house is the finish on the mods,so if you ever found yourself in the position of needing spare parts,then getting them should be no problem at all.
    The predator is a over barrel moderator,and is very very well made,as soon as you pick one up you can tell how well made they are,but there is a difference, this moderator is available in so many different configurations,
    Lets say you are off up the hill for a stalk, and weight is an issue, you pop on the 4 stack baffle set,this keeps weight and length down to a minimum,
    There is all so a 8 baffle stack, this is for when you need better sound suppression,say just for normal foxing situations,
    And the 12 baffle stack is for when you are in them real noise sense areas.

The 4 baffle stack protrudes 70mm forward .
    The 8 baffle stack protrudes 100mm forward.
    And the 12 baffle stack protrudes 130 mm forward.
    The Predator 8 is made to compete directly with the T8 Reflex and has the same exterior dimensions as the T8 Reflex while weighing less.Made from Stainless Steel and high grade alloy.The Predator 8 has a superior design over barrel Sound Moderator with 30mm bore to accommodate barrels of up to 29mm and can be take apart for cleaningThe Predator 8 is made to compete directly with the T8 Reflex and has the same exterior dimensions as the T8 Reflex while weighing less.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...r8-cutaway.jpg

Wildcat Predator 8 Variations Specifications
    Overall Length Rear Tube Length
    Overall Compact Version 212mm 112mm
    Overall Styer Version 250mm 150mm
    Overall Length Predator 8 300mm 200mm
    Plus 1 350mm 250mm
    Plus 2 400mm 300mm
    Plus 3 450mm 350mm

Diameter 50mm all models

All versions accommodate up to 29mm barrel diameter

Protrusion Forwards 4 Baffles 70mm
    8 Baffles 100mm
    12 Baffles 130mm

Weight Compact Version 555gms
    Styer Version 621gms
    Predator 8 690gms
    Plus 1 768gms
    Plus 2 846gms
    Plus 3 924gms

Standard Threads UNF 1/2, 9/16, 5/8
    UNEF 1/2, 9/16, 5/8
    Metric 14 x 1, 15 x 1, 17 x 1, 18 x 1
    with spigot Metric 15 x 1, 17 x 1

Distance required from back of thread back over barrel

Compact 112mm plus derlin bush 10mm
    Styer 150mm plus derlin bush 10mm
    Standard 200mm plus derlin bush 10mm
    Plus 1 250mm plus derlin bush 10mm
    Plus 2 300mm plus derlin bush 10mm
    Plus 3 400mm plus derlin bush 10mm

Order a standard Predator 8 and you will get the specification as laid out in red above in up to 420 differing permutations on this moderator design.

Now you would expect that all this comes at a high price,and you would be forgiven in thinking that the predator 8 is one of the high end mods,you know the £295 price bracket mods. But no it is very very reasonable,at one, I bet you will be surprised at how well they are made.now this mod is not going to be the quietist on the market, or the lightest, but I tell you what,it will take some betting for versatilely.as all the parts and permutations are available of the shelf,and are available next day.that's the benefits of being in control of your own manufacturing and having all your parts just down the road in your purpose built machine shop, and they do not build anything else in this shop,its just mods mods mods.and as soon as I get time I will let you all know what the sound retention is like she actually comes in at £215 for the 8 baffle model.I think this is very good value for money,so the next time you are in a gun shop ask to have a look at one,you never know one of the combinations might be just what you are looking for.

ATB

Colin

Thanks for the write-up.

Whilst all mods suit some guns better than others, I've found that my Predator is at least the equal of anything I've tried and usually noticeably more effective.

I also appreciate the easy stripability of the thing. Yes, I know it's not necessary, and that plenty of people reckon a dirty mod works better than a clean one, but I like to be able to open it up now and again to see just how well it's bearing up, even if I don't clean it.

The modular thing's good too, particularly if like me you're daft enough to be forever changing rifles.

I've also found Andy a really helpful and knowledgeable chap to deal with, which is always a plus!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Thanks for the write-up.

Whilst all mods suit some guns better than others, I've found that my Predator is at least the equal of anything I've tried and usually noticeably more effective.

I also appreciate the easy stripability of the thing. Yes, I know it's not necessary, and that plenty of people reckon a dirty mod works better than a clean one, but I like to be able to open it up now and again to see just how well it's bearing up, even if I don't clean it.

The modular thing's good too, particularly if like me you're daft enough to be forever changing rifles.

I've also found Andy a really helpful and knowledgeable chap to deal with, which is always a plus!
    hi

i have just sent for the 4 baffle option so i can do my test on how affective she is,
    as soon as i get a chance i will post my findings

ATB
    Colin

I have a P8 and can not fault it, the best over barrel moderator on the market.

I had the chance to see one the other day when I picked up a Cub.
    Nice design, well thought out, light, looks good inside & out.
    Simply put I was very impressed with it.
    How it was made was verry impressive, as Andy said, not just a tube with a couple of washers slapped inside, I know what he means, I've seen inside a few mods & he showed me a few others, er, no thanks.
    However my interests lie with rimmies so at least I know my Cub has had the same thought put into it.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.