Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
They are bonnie little rifles, I will never sell mine. One thing to watch for is that overtightening the fore-end stock screws will pull the breech jaws apart, causing wobbly barrel syndrome. You can replace the breech pin with the bolt from a Merc-S with a bit of fettling if it becomes an issue. The design is very efficient at turning spring power into muzzle energy, my .22 will do 10 ft/lbs with a standard spring. It's a very cheap design but works extremely well, the only real downside is its rather stiff trigger.

How is that Merc-S I sold you getting along?
Funny you should mention that, the bloke I bought the Meteor from had another Meteor, (he was going to keep whichever one I didn't want for himself). The other one he had, had a very light coloured stock, and was also fitted with a butt pad, but it had the 'wobbly barrel' syndrome as you put it and the breech jaws were noticeably widened. I choose this one because although it was the cosmetically worse of the pair, mechanically, it's sound though it needs a few bits to complete it.

I really haven't had much of a play with the Mercury S I'm afraid. A combination of being ill, then busy, and crap weather whenever I've had the free time, has meant that it, along with the Webley Falcon I bought from Gareth, the Webley Xocet I bought locally, and the HW35e I bought from Jon, are still awaiting for me to have a go. I'm also waiting until I can afford a small scope for it, as after I tried a few shots through it, I've discovered that my eyesight isn't up to using open sights any more.