Thread: Do any of you chaps know what the difference...

Do any of you chaps know what the difference...

..is supposed to be between a standard Meteor MK5 and a super Metor?

The reason I'm asking is because I've just bought a cheap, slightly shabby but perfectly serviceable (after a few parts) TH prefix Meteor for £15 which if I'm correct means it's a Super MK5, but I can't see any difference really between it and an ordinary MK5.

Should it have 'Meteor S' written on the tube for one (mine doesn't). Are the parts from a standard mk5 interchangeable should I come across some.

Would be grateful for any help or advice.

I may be wrong....

...but I always thought that a super meteor was a meteor in a slightly better stock I thinking back to 1978/79 though.

Mike

if memory serves me right the stock on the super is slightly different and the cylinder has meteor super on it iirc.

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...

Wink

The only differences are In the stock...Having a rubber butt pad, right handed cheekpiece, and the woodwork Is `heavier `at the forend, I have and have had a number of these and cant say I have seen one with `Super Meteor`engraved In the receiver, but anything can happen...Sparko...X

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    ...but I always thought that a super meteor was a meteor in a slightly better stock I thinking back to 1978/79 though.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    if memory serves me right the stock on the super is slightly different and the cylinder has meteor super on it iirc.
    Thanks chaps, then this looks to be a made up of a bit of mix up of parts as this one doesn't have 'super' on the cylinder.

Ah well, a tiny bit of work and it'll shoot, so still good for £15

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    The only differences are In the stock...Having a rubber butt pad, right handed cheekpiece, and the woodwork Is `heavier `at the forend, I have and have had a number of these and cant say I have seen one with `Super Meteor`engraved In the receiver, but anything can happen...Sparko...X
    Hmm, the plot thickens, this does seem to have a 'chunkier' style stock. I'll post a pic up in a few minutes so that you chaps can look for yourselves.

Here's a pic of it.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Steve, the Super Meteor stock has a fitted black rubber recoil pad, whereas the standard Meteor stock of the day was plain wood but with ribs machined into the end of the butt to help it stay at the shoulder . Atb: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Jim145 is offline I've decided not to touch mine...
    I've a Super, bought new by my brother and it only has meteor on the cylinder. Thats a super stock on yours, though looks like it may have been re-finished at some time. Bargain for £15!

steiner Guest

Smile "Air Guns On Test" circa 1980

I`m sitting here with a copy of an Airgun World special from 1980.The test written up on the Super Meteor says that the only difference between it and a standard Meteor is it`s de luxe Stock and ventelated black rubber recoil pad.

Trigger pull is given as a "fairly harsh" 4 lbs,M.V. in 0.177(on test) 655 fps ,with Besa(?) pellets.It is also described as having a semi-matt black painted finish, rather than bluing and the beech stock has a darkish brown appearance.List price is £44.50 (although Gentry`s,in Welling ,Kent only charged £37.80!)

Hope this helps

Kenny

Again thanks for the all info chaps. Much appreciated. It doesn't need much to get it working, so I couldn't pass up on it for £15 could I.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Again thanks for the all info chaps. Much appreciated. It doesn't need much to get it working, so I couldn't pass up on it for £15 could I.
    They are bonnie little rifles, I will never sell mine. One thing to watch for is that overtightening the fore-end stock screws will pull the breech jaws apart, causing wobbly barrel syndrome. You can replace the breech pin with the bolt from a Merc-S with a bit of fettling if it becomes an issue. The design is very efficient at turning spring power into muzzle energy, my .22 will do 10 ft/lbs with a standard spring. It's a very cheap design but works extremely well, the only real downside is its rather stiff trigger.

How is that Merc-S I sold you getting along?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    They are bonnie little rifles, I will never sell mine. One thing to watch for is that overtightening the fore-end stock screws will pull the breech jaws apart, causing wobbly barrel syndrome. You can replace the breech pin with the bolt from a Merc-S with a bit of fettling if it becomes an issue. The design is very efficient at turning spring power into muzzle energy, my .22 will do 10 ft/lbs with a standard spring. It's a very cheap design but works extremely well, the only real downside is its rather stiff trigger.

How is that Merc-S I sold you getting along?
    Funny you should mention that, the bloke I bought the Meteor from had another Meteor, (he was going to keep whichever one I didn't want for himself). The other one he had, had a very light coloured stock, and was also fitted with a butt pad, but it had the 'wobbly barrel' syndrome as you put it and the breech jaws were noticeably widened. I choose this one because although it was the cosmetically worse of the pair, mechanically, it's sound though it needs a few bits to complete it.

I really haven't had much of a play with the Mercury S I'm afraid. A combination of being ill, then busy, and crap weather whenever I've had the free time, has meant that it, along with the Webley Falcon I bought from Gareth, the Webley Xocet I bought locally, and the HW35e I bought from Jon, are still awaiting for me to have a go. I'm also waiting until I can afford a small scope for it, as after I tried a few shots through it, I've discovered that my eyesight isn't up to using open sights any more.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    it had the 'wobbly barrel' syndrome as you put it and the breech jaws were noticeably widened. I choose this one because although it was the cosmetically worse of the pair, mechanically, it's sound though it needs a few bits to complete it.
    The cheap way to repair this is to remove the barrel from the action, (check if the pin is worn etc at this time too, probably wont be) and then squeeze the breech jaws a little in a vice (pad the jaws with scrap leather) until they are narrow enough to hold the breechblock without it play. When you reassemble the rifle, don't overtighten the fore-end screws. You can stick some padding on the attachment lugs if there is too much play between them and the stock. This usually cures the problem without having to resrt to the breech-bolt route.

I really haven't had much of a play with the Mercury S I'm afraid. I'm also waiting until I can afford a small scope for it, as after I tried a few shots through it, I've discovered that my eyesight isn't up to using open sights any more.
    Have you tried instinctive shooting with it, without the sights at all? Start by trying to hit a 2-litre Coke bottle at 10 yards, then work your way down to beer cans, soft drink cans, match-boxes and finally Polo mints. It is such a nice handling gun I think you might be able to make quite a good 'instinct' gun. Obviously this is for plinking rather than hunting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Have you tried instinctive shooting with it, without the sights at all? Start by trying to hit a 2-litre Coke bottle at 10 yards, then work your way down to beer cans, soft drink cans, match-boxes and finally Polo mints. It is such a nice handling gun I think you might be able to make quite a good 'instinct' gun. Obviously this is for plinking rather than hunting purposes.
    I might give that a try as soon as monsoon season has ended on Anglesey.

PS: The one (Meteor) with the dodgy breech jaws was the one I didn't buy.