Thread: Webley Mk 3 knowledge please.

Webley Mk 3 knowledge please.

In my teens I had a .22 Webley Mark 111 that I bought for £11 in 1964-5 from Armstrongs gunsmiths in Nottingham..
    I later sold it to buy an engagement ring ?????

I would like to buy one again..
    Mine had a rounded loading tap rather than the more square cut pattern and I guess it was an earlier model.
    Can anyone please tell me when the round pattern loading tap was phased out and the more modern looking ( and IMHO ) inferior one substituted.?
    Also, when were scope dovetails introduced on the Mark 111 as my old eyes need a scope really ? ( Poor old beggar! )

My Hiller book has a picture of a series 4 Webley Mk3 1961-64 which has the rounded loading tap and telescopic sight ramp. The sight ramps were introduced in 1961.

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    The Mk 3 was fitted with a scope rail that was little more than a sales gimmick, it was a strip of bent tin spot welded to the top of the cylinder.
    It will take a light scope but if the mounts are tightened too much the rail bends and the scope falls off leading to disapointment. I fitted custom integral mounts to mine and it was very successful, a search will turn up a previous thread on this subject.