Thread: Caps

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Caps

Just starting up with cap & ball and a second-hand Remmy .44 revolver. I've given the cylinders a good scrubbing out with Hoppe's and dried them out with several dry patches.

Would you experienced guys first fire off a cap on each unloaded cylinder, to burn off any residue, before loading up for real?
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Just starting up with cap & ball and a second-hand Remmy .44 revolver. I've given the cylinders a good scrubbing out with Hoppe's and dried them out with several dry patches.

Would you experienced guys first fire off a cap on each unloaded cylinder, to burn off any residue, before loading up for real?
    i never do and it only takes me 10 mins to clean tops afterwards.....will give you my pet loads with 777 with 147 balls if you want

If mine is still a bit oily when I go to the range I "cap off". It does make a difference.

Far better to waste half a dozen caps than have a hang fire and all the messing about that goes with it.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Yep I 'cap-off' everytime because that's how I was taught by a far more experianced shooter than I - after all it's only six caps!

Like Smokeless said ' Far better to waste half a dozen caps than have a hang fire and all the messing about that goes with it'

Couldn't agree more.
    'Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars'

I cap off every time with all my cap and ball guns. Once with muck in the nipple and no bang is enough. Yes you can remove the nipple to clear it but its really not worth the hassle.