Thread: Another Meteor question..

Another Meteor question..

for you knowledgeable chaps.

The one I acquired recently came without part of the rear site, the cylinder end cap and stock screws which I'll look for as funds allow. It also came without a butt pad, one of which I found amidst my bits in the shed.

So the question is (finally): I notice it was (the butt pad) held on by 2 metal dowels and some sort of glue. What glue would you chaps recommend to put it back onto the rifle?

Thanks all.

PS: Is a Webley Falcon a short stocked Tracker?..... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Metal pins? interesting, very interesting.....

I would use some standard (i.e. non-quick curing) epoxy-resin type glue, like our old friend Araldite, and let it cure for a couple of days in a nice warm place. If you do this it ends up being stronger than the pad or the wood. You don't want it coming off like a flip-flop sandle do you?

The cylinder end caps are nasty plastic things, you might be able to get Elmur Fudd to make you up a splendiferouos Brass one, or you could send gedfinn2 a pound and he will surely have a few for you to choose from. The Mk 1s had a metal end-cap, all the others went for the Polythene.

If you can get Allen headed bolts then that will make it look nicer. You may not have noticed but some of the bolts on the Mercury had been replaced with these, I bought them from some very obliging Hindu chaps in Clerkenwell - they spend 10 minutes looking for them and they were only 40 pence!

As for

PS: Is a Webley Falcon a short stocked Tracker?..... Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know, but is a BSA Merlin a Falke 80 that was raised on gin and cigarettes? No-one will ever cough to that one ...
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-01-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

I would use some standard (i.e. non-quick curing) epoxy-resin type glue, like our old friend Araldite, and let it cure for a couple of days in a nice warm place. If you do this it ends up being stronger than the pad or the wood. You don't want it coming off like a flip-flop sandle do you?
    Thanks for that Alistair. Just the advice I wanted. But...

Pray do elaborate on this bit as I thought it odd myself, as according to the chambers diagram, the butt pad is supposed to be retained with a screw rather than the dowels / pins.