Thread: Unusual Accuracy From Ordinary Rifles

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Unusual Accuracy From Ordinary Rifles

Everyone knows that HW77s and TX200s etc shoot tiny little groups and rule the roost blah blah blah, and that Relum Tornados are good for hitting oil drums on the 6 yard range.

BUT

Does anyone own an unremarkable rifle which is shockingly accurate, either through chance or years of tweaking?

I'm thinking of the disregarded medium-power rifles like Original 27s, BSA Clubs, ASI Snipers, these sorts of things. If you are not a hunter or a FT/HFT buff then 7, 8 or 9 ft/lbs is fine out to 40 yards for plinking and general target shooting.

Anyone got a favorite? I am looking forward to testing my new s/h Hammerlis, also for a while I did have a little Baikal IJ38 which was suprisingly accurate.

The HW30S is supposed to fit into this category, not a hunter or an FT/HFT gun but very pleasant to shoot, lightweight and accurate as you like.

(Milbro) Diana G34 in .22.

I could hit bottle tops with open sights out to 30 yards and dictate before hand whether they went to the left or right! Mind you, I was in my teens then and I could see the target AND sights at the same time.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi,
    I'm not so sure that relums are that inaccurate, I had a very duffed up Relum Tornado when I was a kid that was bought from a scrap yard - somebody had scrapped their car and piled it up with junk first - including the poor old tornado. I think it was £5 in the early 80's.
    It was a bit of a revelation accuracy wise, certainly better than a meteor. I think they are underrated guns and not badly made at all. As I remember it only had elevation adjustment on the rearsight.

Cheers Morgan

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Relums are under rated, though built down to a price they were well engineered in part, maybe if you got one built on a monday or friday it was rubbish but a wednesday one might be ok. I have a very scabby taurus break barrel and its rifling quality is superb, as good as any rifle i have ever seen, pity the trigger is horrible!

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Many people on here seem to think that Webley MKIIIs aren't particularly good. However, I've found mine to be excellent despite it not even reaching 8ft/lb. I'm not the only person to think so. Someone else that has had an extended play with it commented that "it doesn't shoot groups just holes".
    It has had a fair bit of attention over the years though and I've found some of the most ordinary oldies have benefitted from a damned good scrub of the bore with a VFG kit. I've just done so with a Webley Ranger that I bought recently. Accuracy improved a boat load.
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 29-01-2008 at 09:16 AM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

As a teenager I had a Relum for a while which kicked like a mule and needed two fingers to pull the trigger. I reached a kind of understanding with it that it would do its thing and I would do mine and once this was agreed I found I could get quite decent groups at up to about 20 yards. It wasn't fun though.

Asi Sniper

My first rifle was an ASI SNIPER with a 4 x 20 scope and I could hit 1/32 scale soldiers at the length of my garden which had to be 45-50 yards. I think this was down to having just the one rifle and spending every available moment shooting it and again I was a teenager with good eyesight etc. I'v still got that Sniper all be it butchered when I had an atempt at customising, which only a week ago I purchased another Sniper. Brings back great memories