Thread: The Setter Air-shotgun/rifle Pump-up

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Setter Air-shotgun/rifle Pump-up

Has anyone ever come across one of these? I remember it from an article in a very old AGW.

It was a pump-up gun made in the style of the Browning Auto-5 semi-automatic shotgun, the one with the squared-off receiver and the 5 shot mag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Auto-5

The gun was charged by unhinging the barrel and using it like the handle of a Hills-type pump, to work the piston up and down with the butt of the gun between the feet.

It was sold as a small-bore 'air-shotgun', can't remember the calibre but must have been .410 or 9mm or so. However, it could also be bought with a rifled insert for the barrel in .22 or .25 (can't remember), which made it into a powerful rifle.

I just tried googling it and got very little, except one Swedish air-shotgun enthusiast mentions that it may have been made in Italy. I thought it was made in Spain like the Setra.

I believe the name is related to the breed of gun-dog.

Does anyone have any more information?
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 30-01-2008 at 11:14 PM.

SETTER - Previous trade mark for 28 gauge pneumatic shotgun made by Armibrescia, Italy ca. 1935-1947. Ref: The Blue Book Of Airguns.

I seem to remember a photo of Harvey charging one in an early issue of A.G.W.

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 30-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk