Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Classics versus new

These threads soon turn into FWB nostalgia trips don't they? Most current springers (AA apart) are basically the same as those of the 80;s. ie a barrel, a cylinder, a piston with a synthetic seal, same triggers in HW's case, granted a lot have a synthetic guide but are rarely a good enough fit to make much odds. Main thing now as then is correct lubrication and as Hsingee pointed out, better ammo. Thinking about it a HW35 is almost the same as a HW80 except for lock up and 2 piece cocking lever (and a shorter stroke? -guessing). So there should be no reason why they should not be used for hunting if in good order and you can shoot well enogh with them.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

Talking reply

i had to laugh max as you pointed out yet another run of fwb nostalgia trips but im always up for another,funny thing is there must be something about them that makes a difference ive never heard such a conisitant roll in regards to any other mark.im just glad to consider myself to be in the club;"stop yawning"!!.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Bottom line is that the FWB 124/127 is the best gun ever made in the world, and if you dont agree I will come round to your place and beat you senseless with one of Mr Tylers thicker classic period magazines.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Well, I'm going to wave the flag a bit. The Union Jack that is. I still use my 1989 Vulcan. It will reliably roll over rabbits, squirrels and "brancher" rooks.
    Although all through my teens I longed to be able to afford a Fwb Sport, I've still never owned a German air rifle.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    the barrel detent is splined and a simple push in fit into the clyinder they can be tight but a little heat and a sharp bladed screwdriver they can be prized out no probs as for the sport itself i've owned many nice accurate guns but they dont deserve the cult status they get now they are a bit overated their were guns around at the time that were as good some better their are far better modern springers today sports were weak and fragile in quite a few areas if sports were so good were are they now history shows us sales dried up because better guns came on the scene HW80/77/85 Original 45 to name but a few, FWB sports didnt sell so got foooocked off

ps i remember the first new sport i bought around 1980 its trigger and safety catch didnt work properly out of the box took it back and traded it in for a HW35E never looked back viraaaaaaarks rule

Dave.
    think a few people might disagree as to if those guns were any better
    one of the reasons they sold more is that they were ALL cheaper than the sport

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    think a few people might disagree as to if those guns were any better
    one of the reasons they sold more is that they were ALL cheaper than the sport
    Or, in other words, better value

Well my recently purchased Anny 335 has been a bit of a revelation as far as its solid lock up and a reasonable trigger. For a £100 or there abouts its money well spent.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    Hmm. May have something there. The HW77, apart from the cocking shoe, will never wear out. Many FT'ers wore out their 'Sports. Perhaps the Sport barrels can be put on the HW77s!

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    probably but in the same way a VW golf is better value than a porsch

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

re amac

nice one andy,you can borrow my sheetmetal workers weekly to finish off !!!.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

I think the reason people go back to the 'older' stuff
    is because they were so well made,the noise of the barrel latch shutting
    with a positive clunk etc
    I love the older stuff,memories of my BSF b55 for instance....
    none of that fibre optic and plastic sight nonsence.
    Oh and the Daisy pump .22 (forget the model number)
    with a 4x32 scope on it i could hit decimal pennies at 25 yds untill it got boring
    i liked them even though they get a ripping on here sometimes.

Well Harry, my middle son still uses his Vulcan in .22 to good effect. My best mate in the late seventies bought a new Vulcan when they first appeared, it was certainly as good, if not quite as accurate as the Original 45 I bought at the time. Happy days.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I use and array of classic springers for hunting- depends on how the mood takes me. My regular hunting rifle is an HW80- though its vintage '84 if memory serves me right- but still going strong and super accurate. I have used Original '45s, HW35es, FWBs and a few others. As has been rightly pointed out- quality ammo with these older classics reaps rewards.
    As far as modern v classic for current hunting rifles- I think the above answers that really- there is so little between it that either will give good account. However from my perspective I get far more satisfaction using a 20 plus year old classic when hunting- rather than some of today's souless creations.

Dave

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well I'm shooting with another Challenger, so I can say "yes I do" to this thread.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Yep, even though I have a rim fire rifle and an FAC p.c.p. air rifle (all legal and on ticket), can't imagine not going hunting Thumper with my trustee old .177 Webley Omega carbine (best rifle Webley ever made ), or my 1978 .177 HW35 from time to time too : Gareth.
    Hey Gareth, howya getting on with the old "trusty old Omega carbine" these days ?

"B'rider"

ps. sorry mate, I just could not resist !

ATB,

J.