Thread: Uberti or Pietta???

Uberti or Pietta???

I am off to check out a couple of .36 1858 navy revolvers tomorrow one a Uberti the other a Pietta, is there a difference in build quality?
    What would be a good starting load (25yds - pyrodex) for the above?
    any help gratefully received.
    Thanks.

I was told Uberti were better regarding build quality and attention to detail, however can't fault my .36 Pietta 1861 Navy Colt, fit and finish excellent.

Load I use with above with Pyrodex P 18g by volume anything less I was finding slight delay with Pyrodex P (think I started with 14g). Caps Remington number 11, though recently tried CCI Magnums these gave very good results plenty of oooooomph.

If buying s/hand check the lock up of both, and take a torch and look down the barrel to make sure cylinder and barrel are aligned - You likely know this...

I think likely the Uberti will hold its value better as they do have a good reputation. Warning; cap and ball revolvers s/hand, at least in my area are not easy to shift, and lose their value dramatically. I would buy s/hand if possible.

The above pistol I mention I paid £70 mint boxed - 21 rounds through it flask, powder, balls ets..

Good luck with the purchase..

Piettas seem to be generally regarded as the 'budget' range, with Uberti a notch above,

Having said that my Pietta Remmy 'Texas' (.44), bought secondhand with little previous use for a princeley £40, continues to serve me well. It's used regularly in competitions and I must have put well over a thousand rounds through it by now with no problems at all.

As already advised, look to buy secondhand and don't worry too much about the make - just enjoy. Even a budget BP pistol will shoot better than the average shooter!

Thanks for your information, went for the Pietta, is in 'as new' condition.
    Can't wait to get down the range to have a blast, ahh... and the cleaning afterwards.....what joy.
    Happy shooting

New or previously owned?

With the price of balls - Speer etc advise you get a mould and make yeh own, easy and satisfying.

Happy shootin and welcome to the smoke makers club...

Quote Originally Posted by mobimick View Post
    Thanks for your information, went for the Pietta, is in 'as new' condition.
    Can't wait to get down the range to have a blast, ahh... and the cleaning afterwards.....what joy.
    Happy shooting
    I own a Pieta, Spiller and Burr .36 with the brass frame, it shoots really well with good grouping.

I prefer shooting this more than my stainless ROA.

Have fun