Thread: Old Jap Tasco 3x9-50ag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    Hakko went bust a few years ago, the new 'Hakkos' are made in China. I've got an AG4 x 40 and it's ace, I think I've got 5 other Hakko made scopes - all excellent.

have you got 5 other Tasco 4x40AG scopes then? if you have are
    you going to let me have a Tasco 4x40AG of at a good price then mate ?

Anthony

I only have the one 4 x 40 ag, still in the box with all the papers and cloth. All the other Hakkos I have a silly target scopes.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

I was lucky enough to own a 2-7x32 AG a few years ago, and stupid enough to sell it .

They really are/were top class glass There was a 3-9x44 available which was never sold in the UK, shame really. I did manage to aquire a Nikko Sterling 10x42 last year, the type with the rear parralax ring and target turrets, I think these were also made by Hakko.

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    Anthony

I only have the one 4 x 40 ag, still in the box with all the papers and cloth. All the other Hakkos I have a silly target scopes.
    ok mate but if you ever come to sell it then let me know

and Oddbob08 i got a 2-7x32 AG scope mate i picked it up for £15 about 3 weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by anthony View Post
    ok mate but if you ever come to sell it then let me know

and Oddbob08 i got a 2-7x32 AG scope mate i picked it up for £15 about 3 weeks ago
    You got a bargain there, there's one for sale in the classifieds in Shooting Sports magazine for £30 (think it's in Dudley, if anyone fancies it).

Tasco started selling them again a few years later for about £70, I was straight on the phone to order one. When I got it I found it was a cheap copy with a totally different zoom ring and eye-bell. I sent it back and got a refund

I used to have a 4x40 AG and wish I'd never parted with it. I wonder how these old Tascos compare to modern scopes like MTC or Bushnell? Anyone done a comparison?

Lionel

Tasco AG range

Personally, I consider these scopes inferior to the models they replaced e.g. 626V, 615W, etc., all of which had the black anodised finish. When the matt finish AG range first appeared, each came with a free lock knife attached, so I bought one of each model and used the knives for prizes at the following Christmas shoot. These scopes did not prove very reliable: turrets falling off and objective lenses falling out were common. The 4x40 was a lovely scope to use, as the image was unusually bright and came to the eye readily for snap shooting. I still have a 2.75x40, which has easily outlasted the rest of the bunch. However, I also still have a number of the older models, including three of the 626v and one of the 1.75x40 models (615W) and these are still working flawlessly. The black anodised TR range (4-16x40 and 6-24x40) was also excellent. As a matter of interest, I use Bausch & Lomb and Leupold too but I have an enduring fondness for these little Tasco scopes. Not once did I experience a reticle breakage, even when fitted to gas ram rifles - they made them tougher in those days, I guess. RIP Tasco.

Yes, I've had a couple of TRs, excellent.

The AG 4 x 40 is very nice but it pales in comparision to a 22 year old Japanese Nikko Gold Crown 6 x 40 I have, it is outstanding. It is optically superior to a Leupold M8 6 x 42 I had and the reticule (a very tight duplex, number 15?) is great.

Just as a matter of interest does anyone know which Japanese factory makes the big Nikko 10-50 x 60? It doesn't look anything like a LOW scope, Hakko are dead, is it made by Optisan who make the MTCs?
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.