Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Jap Tasco 3x9-50ag

Quote Originally Posted by georgey View Post
    Hi guys, well I've always wanted a Jap optics Tasco 3x9-50ag since I was a kid but never been in a position to afford one. However I purchased one secondhand off the BBS a few days ago and man am I impressed. This scope was over £200 when it first came out but I bagged this for a reasonable price. Its in excellent condition I would say for the age of it with only faint marks where it has previously had mounts attatched. The paralax and zoom adjustments work very smoothly. Went out all afternoon with it mounted on my CZ .22rf, zeroed it in off the bipod doing ragged one hole groups out to 50yds with eley subs, got it zeroed in 10-15 shots. The optics on this scope are as good as my meopta artemis 6x42 which is excellent, the field of view is also excellent and the image is very crisp as is the duplex reticule. At dusk the scope coped brilliantly and is up there with the best I have tried, the best being my mates optima supermoonlighter and my meopta.

Why did tasco stop using Jap optics
    if thats a world class plus i'd agree. good glass holds zero told glass was made in china by optisan

Old Jap Tasco 3x9-50ag

I have two Jap TR 4-16x40 scopes and they are totally fantastic, never part with them. The picture so clear and crisp.

One cost me £55 and in good condition with the range finding retical and the other cost £100 and in perfect condition with 30/30,both s/h and bought some time back.

If anyone has one of these they want to sell i will buy it off you as i have one on my FAC Rapid7 Mk1 and the other on my 1517 .17HMR but want one more for my 1710 .22LR

Kev

did the gloss finish date them ??

AG scopes are the best scope tasco made

I've had a good few over the years.
    I'd like someone to do a definitive breakdown of the best of Tasco. Anything before 1984 ish was brilliant; before 1993 great; after: load of rubbish. Even then some models seem to be better than others. I'd pay top £ for a mint TR. I have a crisp 3-9x40 Prohorn and a 6x40 ? with a Stag's head, absolutely lovely and wouldn't part with them.

The earliest Optimas Moonlighters were very very good but not later. I also have a Tasco 4x40 European 30mm tube which is superb. The Titans started good but not for long and they didn't look that great. Same problem with Simmons WTC; the early ones were a bargain.

Edger Brothers Optimates, jap made, are great at the moment. Older Bauch & Lomb are very nice too. To get great glass now its £400 plus and then you need to be selective; Zeiss Conquests and top end Bushnel (?).

Tasco AG

As I said in an earlier post on this thread, the early black-anodised Tascos were in my view the best of the bunch. The later Lumina jobs were of similar appearance but optically inferior. My AG models with their faux-Parkerised finish were of variable quality but the 4-16x40 TR was a great all-round performer.

These days, with seemingly a billion different scopes on the market, we're spoilt for choice and even relatively cheap scopes have all the trimmings such as sidewheel parallax with cartwheel, target turrets, illuminated reticles, etc. I'm currently using an old Leupold 4-12x40 for springer HFT, which works fine set on 7x with a 25 yards parallax. My collection of oldies are fitted with the retired 626V 2-7x32 scopes and a 615W 1.75-5x40. I still have a Bausch & Lomb 6-24x40 target scope from around 1989 but it's ridiculously long for most applications.

The Hawke range offer good value for money but I've noticed that the finish on some scopes is very easily marked.