Thread: savage lrpv

savage lrpv

finally got my new long range precision varmint yesterdayhttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture769.jpg.it,s in .223 with a 1in 7 twist.26"stainless barrell with 1"diameter.it,s sat in an hs precision stock which has a nice solid feel to it,fully free floated up to the receiver.it has a strange textured finish to the stock which i thought marked to easily but a quick wipe over with a damp cloth and it has gone.the pistol grip is fairly upright which i do like and a 2 1/2" wide beaver tail front.it has a stainless trigger guard which is beutifully made and much nicer than a moulded in one.
    it is fitted with the new target accutrigger which is only available on certain models and is an upgrade to the usual accutrigger.it,s adjustable from 8oz to 2 1/2 lb.i must say this is the nicest trigger i have ever used.set from the factory it takes the slightest touch which out in the field is a little to light so will be adjusted.it is like glass breaking and totally safe.the only quirk i have with it is the accutrigger as i like to touch the side of the trigger blade not the full face of it and it just goes into lock down as the accu has to be depressed before it will fire,just something have to get used to.http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture773.jpg
    the receiver is single shot only with right bolt left port which for prone shooting is brilliant.work the tactical bolt knob with the right hand while catch the empties with the left,pick a new round out the box and roll it into the port and close the bolt.
    savage seem to have improved there level of engineering as my old 10fp had an agricultural looking wobbly bolt.now it is so smooth and the action is on a par with steyr.
    all up weight with scope and harris is dead on 14lb so not too bad considering the all stainless steel build.
    i haven,t got round to trying out the accuracy yet but whilst sighting in and running the barrell in yesterday it was putting 10 rounds into 3/4 inch at 75 yrds with some homeloads i through together.why 75 yrds some might ask,it was as far as i could go to stay out the wind.looking better to day so shall take it out later for some load development
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture771.jpg
    here for a good time not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by darrell81 View Post
    finally got my new long range precision varmint yesterdayhttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture769.jpg.it,s in .223 with a 1in 7 twist.26"stainless barrell with 1"diameter.it,s sat in an hs precision stock which has a nice solid feel to it,fully free floated up to the receiver.it has a strange textured finish to the stock which i thought marked to easily but a quick wipe over with a damp cloth and it has gone.the pistol grip is fairly upright which i do like and a 2 1/2" wide beaver tail front.it has a stainless trigger guard which is beutifully made and much nicer than a moulded in one.
    it is fitted with the new target accutrigger which is only available on certain models and is an upgrade to the usual accutrigger.it,s adjustable from 8oz to 2 1/2 lb.i must say this is the nicest trigger i have ever used.set from the factory it takes the slightest touch which out in the field is a little to light so will be adjusted.it is like glass breaking and totally safe.the only quirk i have with it is the accutrigger as i like to touch the side of the trigger blade not the full face of it and it just goes into lock down as the accu has to be depressed before it will fire,just something have to get used to.http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture773.jpg
    the receiver is single shot only with right bolt left port which for prone shooting is brilliant.work the tactical bolt knob with the right hand while catch the empties with the left,pick a new round out the box and roll it into the port and close the bolt.
    savage seem to have improved there level of engineering as my old 10fp had an agricultural looking wobbly bolt.now it is so smooth and the action is on a par with steyr.
    all up weight with scope and harris is dead on 14lb so not too bad considering the all stainless steel build.
    i haven,t got round to trying out the accuracy yet but whilst sighting in and running the barrell in yesterday it was putting 10 rounds into 3/4 inch at 75 yrds with some homeloads i through together.why 75 yrds some might ask,it was as far as i could go to stay out the wind.looking better to day so shall take it out later for some load development
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture771.jpg

Hi Darrel

its a 2min job to take the stupid blade out mate!

mine drove me nuts so out it came

jsut like a normal trigger (if you dont want ti to go off dont pull it!Bump test ect)then & a very good one at that!

Andy

Have you read this months Target Sports, it has a good article about heavy bullet .223. It says that the Berger 90gn VLD is the best for that twist. Nother is ever written in stone but it could a starting point.

Very good looking gun, I have the FVSS in .223 and would definatly order one of these if it came in .308.

thanx guys,will definately take the accutrigger off as it is annoying.got some 69,70 and 75 grain bullets to try it with,being a single loader there ain,t a problem with cartridge length as theres no mag so 90grainers will be fine and load them out to just off the lands.

thanx guys,will definately take the accutrigger off as it is annoying.got some 69,70 and 75 grain bullets to try it with,being a single loader there ain,t a problem with cartridge length as theres no mag so 90grainers will be fine and load them out to just off the lands.
    good one mate looking forward to hear how it shoots?

bet its a bug holer:-)

these savages need bigging up as they shoot the &*&* out of most other brands!

Andy

took the accutrigger out of it today and it is perfect now,managed to get it sighted in and 3 shot cloverleaf group with 69grain lapua scenars.no load development just through some rounds together so it,s looking good and had 2 rabbits at 250yrds so a successfull 2 hours out

took the accutrigger out of it today and it is perfect now,managed to get it sighted in and 3 shot cloverleaf group with 69grain lapua scenars.no load development just through some rounds together so it,s looking good and had 2 rabbits at 250yrds so a successfull 2 hours out
    Ideal then mate

Much beter with the blade out best trigger on a fatory gun that i have tried!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Skany View Post
    Ideal then mate

Much beter with the blade out best trigger on a fatory gun that i have tried!

Andy
    too bloody right andy,triggers sweet as a nut. just read target sports and vince bottomly is building a 308f/tr using the same action as mine but with a right port.interesting to see how he gets on with it

loaded up some 75grain amax today using rl15 seated out to 2.461"and shot this 3 shot group at 100yrds prone off a bipod http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Picture776.jpg managed to pull the last shot slightly otherwise sure they would all be touching,just ordered a 8-32 mag scope so i can see the holes as with 14xmag just aiming at a black blob.very happy with it though

I would be very warry of taking the blade out. It is a 2min job but the trigger unit was designed with in place. At the weekend shooting when I put the bolt down quickley the trigger went off, only the accu trigger blade stopped the rifle going off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tried loads of slam fires and drop it on it,s butt [unloaded]and couldn,t get it to fire.being single shot i close the bolt till it,s on target either and the safety is always on before the shot.i know rely on the safety though

Taking the blade out just makes it a "normal trigger" if it dont go off with a slam on hte butt id say no problem!bit like any adjustment made on any other trigger!

Andy

Just making you aware of what happened to me. The rifle has never done this before, over 1000 rounds through it.

Going back to the shop today so he can send it back to Garlands for a check up. So will probably be without it for weeks

Nice review mate, i would love to see this in action.

give us a call 07766557627 or 0120877262.

got loads of land to go on, call me

chris.

will do chris though pretty busy sorting the house out for renting, cheers darrell