Thread: Webley Service MkII....

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm

Webley Service MkII....

..... wanted. This post's a really tall order.

As of the end of this month I should have the odd penny or two for an example of the above. I've always hankered after one, and now will have the readies available.

I'm not cutting corners, so top vote would go to a clean, functional example, preferably with the alternate barrels. Original boxed would be a bonus. I'd prefer the later pattern variants complete with all the bells, whistles, peepsights, etc.

If anyone has a nice clean example they don't really want to sell, but have a need for cash and want to know it's going to a goodhome, please PM me with piccies and offers.

I'm not after buying dozens, just one that I can admire and use on occasions.

Here's hoping.....
    Last edited by JerryD; 11-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Jerry

What no takers ?

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Terry Robb had one last week looked like it had been reblued as the lettering was not too crisp but it was pretty good for all that, cant remember the price sorry!

AAAH......Webley Service mk IIs

Hi Jerrybbs

Not sure if ONE of my webley service mk IIs will satisfy your urges I bought my two over 25 plus years ago and will part with one in order to up grade for a better one

I have no original cartons and the blueing on both barrels are mottled with the steel showing through as the pics. will show on www.picturetrail.com/abewilson. I am hoping this ad. will spur some one to part exchange for me to upgrade with one that has two barrels. not bothered with the cartons because I have a nice show cabinet waiting for it

My service rifles are priced at £375 to £400, these two rifles have not been fired since being owned by me. My passion is just handling and looking and admiring.
    It takes all types, they say If you are interested for more details PM me.

WEBLEY SERVICE AIR RIFLE MK. I I CAL .22. serial no..371548…...S3938 = trigger and barrel
    50% original blueing.

WEBLEY SERVICE AIR RIFLE MK.11 . 177 CAL serial No 371546 ….Trigger = S5359…. Barrel = 13188
    50% original blueing.

abewilson
    'The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens'.
    Baha'u'llah 1817- 1892

Nice ones Abe!

As I said, end of the month - I may be in touch. However, like you I'd like to go the whole hog and get the multi-barreled set-up. Gotta start somewhere though...
    Jerry

Mk 2 Service Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Terry Robb had one last week looked like it had been reblued as the lettering was not too crisp but it was pretty good for all that, cant remember the price sorry!
    I looked in on Terry Robb yesterday and he still has the Mk 2 Service Rifle and it is a 3rd series.

I can confirm that it has been reblued, and that it is in quite good condition, he as replaced the seals in it, but whoever did the preparation work for the bluing has lost the flying pellet logo and much of the stamping is very faint, however it looks very nice, it's operation is as it should be and the barrel and action numbers match.
    The starting price on it is £350, but from my experience Terry enjoys a little haggle.

His number is (01268) 752888
    Web http://www.trobb.f9.co.uk/

Thanks for all the replies. I see there being possibly 2 purchases here, as I've not had a multi-barrel offer. I will be in touch once the bonus comes through.

For the experts/webley officianados, was there ever the "ultimate" Webley MkII set consisting of the action plus the barrels in .177, .22 and .25, all in a single box? If so, is this the rare find that everyone is looking for?
    Jerry

As far as I know, the Webley service Mk.2 was only sold with one barrel as all the card boxes I have seen only had room for one barrel in the specific enclosure. Extra barrels could be ordered at the time and these would be factory stamped with the relevant serial number, but packed separately.
    However, the rifle could be purchased as a three barrel set in a Special Leather case and this is the one to purchase if you can find one, but be prepared to pay well into four figures.
    Sometimes the Service can be found with three barrels that are not all numbered to the rifle, and although still desirable, usually sell for a bit less than similarly numbered sets.
    As with anything collectable, condition is everything, and you can expect to pay a hefty price for a good boxed example, if you can find one.

Thanks to Abe, I am now the proud owner of two Service MKIIs - yeehar!!

I think both are late pattern versions, but can someone shed some light on the date of manufacture and any other details?

Serial number S3938: 0.22 with barrel s/n matching
    Serial number S5359: 0.177 barrel carries number 13188 on the alignment tang with 54 on the barrel just aft of the tang.

Any extra info would be good.

Thanks again Abe - hope you found your way home OK!!
    Jerry

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Thanks to Abe, I am now the proud owner of two Service MKIIs - yeehar!!
    Excellent - they're lovely guns! These are, as you say, quite late models - in the 3rd series, I have numbers S3976, S3984, S4231, S9633 and S11773!
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

My Webley service mk 11 is priced at £400 Cal 22, Serial no: 371548.....s4187=Trigger. If you are interested PM me. Beautiful looking rifle just been restored!

Out of interest for anyone still after one there is a good one at Mick's guns. It has three barrels but is up for 750 notes.

Chris.