Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 yards with 12ft Lb springers - Part 2

100 yards with 12ft Lb springers - Part 2

A nice still and sunny day today and some time off for me so I thought I'd have another quick bash at 100 yards with the springer.

First change from my initial attempt was that I had a laser range finder - it showed that my measurements from my last post were about 10 yards short

I lasered the target and made sure it was a kosher 100 yards - it was a fair bit further away than I expected but still nice and clear through the scope. My first few sighting shots were all over the place and I noticed that I'd been resting part of the rifle butt on the ground. Real results only seemed to come when the middle of the rifle was supported but the butt and barrel were kept clear of any obstructions. I guess it a recoil thing - the gun needs to do it's howitzer style recoil without anything stopping it through the cycle.

Once I was settled in and got the problems sorted, I put out some of my mini-bull targets - these are 45mm across and can be seen in my previous post with a 2p on for scale.

My first 10 shots were all landing fairly consistently i.e. consistently high and right I didn't bother making any adjustments at this stage as they were going to give me a really good read for the adjustments needed on the next 10. I dialled in adjustment and shot the next 10 and printed a really nice group of 47mm c to c BUT sadly I jerked the trigger on one shot and pulled one down badly. This is marked by an X in the pic and it wrecked a great group In the photo group 1 is seperated by the line - the small hole and indentation is where the drawing pin went through.

I had high hopes for my last group and it started really well but then the shots started walking upward as the breeze freshened into my face a touch. I got cross with it and skanked a couple - you can see how far you miss by if you let your technique go!

All in all, very pleasing results but still no actual measurable 10 shot groups but I was very close to getting a 10 shot group of nicely under 2 inches. I'll keep going and let you all know how I get on.

My equipment was a v-glided hw97k in .177 flavour, running at 11.3 ft lbs, trigger was a v-mach semi-match unit with a flat polished blade and it all sat in a GINB l/h thumbhole stock. Scope was Bushnell Banner 6-24X40 cranked to top mag, pellets were JSB 4.51 washed and lubed.

First two groups

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...enners/FEB.jpg

Third group

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...nners/FEB1.jpg

from the shape of the first two and the progresion to the third, you were just starting to come on target....

Yeah and then the wind started up You don't need much to turn a rewarding experiment into a frustrating excercise of 'Where the hell did that one go!'

gues it m8...lol you'll soon find it, usualy about the time it changes..

I'd never thought about long range 12 ft lb springers. Till I brought one out (BSA Lightning XL .177)to the hide whilst pigeon shooting on the South Downs last month.

No exact idea of the range, but shot 300 pellets (few pigeons that day) at pieces of chalk out a long way. Seemed to be aiming about 3 feet high for some of them. The rifle shot impressively. Shame I didn't have a target to put out. Must try it a bit more scientifically next time...

When the weather gets a bit better I will put the TX/Leupold through it's paces on the 100metre range at Dowry Hill. Will also do some with the Zenith and EV2 to see how they compare.

Not bad by the way. the best I had was a 10 shot group of 1.8inches CTC with the EV2.

Nice One
    WEIHRAUCH HW80 .177 - SIMMONS WHITETAIL EXPEDITION - SIMMONS PRO DAMPA MOUNT - CCFC SUPA LOGUN SILENCER - RAN OUT OF AIR.....I AINT

I never even thought that was possible with a 12ft lb rifle let alone a .177!. That is quite an achievement you have there, I'm impressed! I thought that the max out of a legal limit air rifle was about 60 yards. Good one mate!

Just imagine what the results could have been if he'd used a decent quality British target instead of that Chinese SMK cr@p!

Tried 94m once, with my .22 12Ftp..It could stíll splatter the claypigeons on the board, but couldn't really tell in advance which one..
    It was shot outside by the way, had to aim waaaaaaaaaay high
    Nice shooting mate!
    ATB,
    yana

Red face Long range shooting...

Military snipers shooting at a measured 1000 yards will aim over 30 feet above their target to allow for bullet drop. Wind, weather, vertical incline, altitude and even temperature also all have to be taken into consideration.

To see it done it looks as if they are shooting up into the sky (even if the round has lost a lot of energy there I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end) - just a bit of trivia for ya!

Bob

long range

I made 3 luvly guestimated shots on a grease tube 1 day at roughly 100 yards with a webley vulcan springer in .22 i was only around the age of 15,16 its definatly do-able ive had people tell me its not but it is, oo yeah btw nice shootin tex but wen i read this thread i could not view the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakes View Post
    I never even thought that was possible with a 12ft lb rifle let alone a .177!. That is quite an achievement you have there, I'm impressed! I thought that the max out of a legal limit air rifle was about 60 yards. Good one mate!
    So is it the case that .22 should normally travel further than .177 then?
    Surely when shot with the same power rifle the pellet will travel quicker from the .177 or am I getting this wrong.

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    Quote Originally Posted by squirminator View Post
    Military snipers shooting at a measured 1000 yards will aim over 30 feet above their target to allow for bullet drop. Wind, weather, vertical incline, altitude and even temperature also all have to be taken into consideration.

To see it done it looks as if they are shooting up into the sky (even if the round has lost a lot of energy there I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end) - just a bit of trivia for ya!

Bob
    I am gonna be annoying.

That is for your standard 7.62x51mm NATO, a 50BMG needs about 20 feet at 1500 yards.

I'd say yr better off with a .177. I get the idea that with my .22, the speed at close to 100m is getting too slow for good accuracy.
    Also have to aim fár higher with .22 than with .177 of course..
    ATB,
    yana