Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 yards with 12ft Lb springers - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by squirminator View Post
    Military snipers shooting at a measured 1000 yards will aim over 30 feet above their target to allow for bullet drop. Wind, weather, vertical incline, altitude and even temperature also all have to be taken into consideration.

To see it done it looks as if they are shooting up into the sky (even if the round has lost a lot of energy there I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end) - just a bit of trivia for ya!

Bob
    I always thought Military Snipers used drop charts and dialled in the elevation on their scopes

TB.

Treebone you're correct, I think it was just the way it was written. The muzzle would be pointing 30ft (or 20ft if using 50BMG at 1500 ) above the target, the point of aim would be on target.

Military snipers shooting at a measured 1000 yards will aim over 30 feet above their target to allow for bullet drop. Wind, weather, vertical incline, altitude and even temperature also all have to be taken into consideration.

To see it done it looks as if they are shooting up into the sky (even if the round has lost a lot of energy there I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end) - just a bit of trivia for ya!

Bob
    Plus the Coriolis Effect!
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Steve Valentine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    Plus the Coriolis Effect!
    Saw that on a discovery program ( I think it was future weapons )

The spotter really had to know his stuff.

Steve

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali-C View Post
    I am gonna be annoying.

That is for your standard 7.62x51mm NATO, a 50BMG needs about 20 feet at 1500 yards.
    And what about .338 Lapua Magnum?
    Brocock Atomic .177

Took my HW98 .177 down our range last week to have a crack at the 100yard targets (basically a length of 4x2 nailed to the front of a tree and sticking out to the left, sitting on this masterpiece of engineering are eight old JSB.177 tins taped up in pairs and placed on the plank with the top facing the shooter)

I hung a card on the bottom with four one inch circles drawn on it and proceeded to zero the rifle at that range, the original zero was at 30 yards and I was quite suprised to find it took just two full turns (14moa per turn) and a few clicks to bring the rifle onto vertical zero!

you note I wrote "vertical", well thats because the , what I thought was, slight breeze played merry hell with the group, once zeroed for range I fired three shots to get a group, quite pleased when they all landed either on or right next to a circle only for the next two to drift off two inches left as the wind changed

in the end I resorted to hanging pellet tin lid tape in strategic places down the range to try and get a grip on what the breeze was doing!

the end result of all this mucking about was when the wind stabilised for a few minutes I was able to knock three of the four tins off the plank in succession only to have the wind change and utterly fox me with the last tin, despite ten shots at it I never figured out where the aim point needed to be and packed it in for the day!

this long range stuff is for fools, which is why im going back on saturday and I'm going to get four for four if it kills me!

it's all you lots fault giving me daft ideas!
    I hate you all!

Aldershot, but will change every 3 years.

Wink Military Snippeing

Bob
    Fellas, everyone one of you are right when it comes to military snippeing. A little exagerated, but right never the less, right.

The L96 7.62 sniper rifle will hit centre mass targets ie Kills, at 900 metres.
    Everything beyond this range is called "Harrasing fire". A kill can be obtained however is very unlikely, all you may do is blow an arm or shoulder off.
    However in the highly skilled hands of a few mates, it has been done at 1200meters.

The POA on a long range target is high but no where near the heights your talking about, culminaton arc or the fall of the round in laymans terms is straightened out by the use of 7.62 "green spot"

This ammo is the 1st 500 rounds of a new batch number, after 500 rounds the powder and percusion caps vary too much to be used in a high precision long range shooting so end up being used for the General Perpose Machine Gun (GPMG)

Which brings me on to elevation, the Gimpy (as its known) can be used in the Sustained Fire (SF) role. This involves getting huge amounts of rounds over 2500 meters away to hit the enemy "en mass". This is done by whats called "Map Predicted Fire" and involves elivating the barrel to the POA and heights you were talking about.

Which brings me on to the "Predict" in Map Pridicted Fire,
    A sniper never ever predicts, He dous not have charts or elevation tables (if he dous then he is probly American)

A bit more trivia for ya
    Marcus.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    We seem to be getting far afield - any pun unintentional - from 12 foot pound springer rifles at 100 yards.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

100 yards

a PCP In 177 is good for 100 yards. But 20 Cal is not bad to it will be my next rifle.

i know its a bit different with a springer as apposed to a PCP but as for the power of a sub 12ftlb air gun take a look on youtube at Cubleycats 200m shooting with a HW 100 .177 and still enough energy left to punch holes in tin cans
    Gamo Phox .22
    BSA Lightning SE GRT .22
    tuned XS78 .22