Thread: British Airgun Championships

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All,

As some of you are clearly aware, the NSRA have had some serious issues recently. I do believe they are now on the road to recovery as it were!

The Association do host a number of junior shooting clubs at the Lord Roberts Centre, aimed at attracting them to the sport in a safe environment. They work alongside the NRA to organise open days at Bisley, where you can try any (UK legal) shooting discipline you care to. There is also a great deal of tie in with British Shooting (the rebranded GBTSF) to support the national sides, including development squads. They also support the national coaching scheme and run workshops dealing with psychology, electronic training aids (SCATT, Noptel) etc.

The NSRA also run a huge number of competitions, both postal and at Open Championships, covering small bore, air rifle and pistol and cross bow. It is incorrect to say the association is predominantly small bore - indeed the bulk of the facilities are geared towards towards 10m Olympic air events. You do not have to be a member to use the facilities, and can hire a lane by the hour, half day or day. Similarly, you do not have to be a member to enter most of the competitions.

Now for the slightly contentious bit! The NSRA is not a charity and has a huge annual turnover. I would encourage everyone involved in target shooting to join, if only for the comprehensive insurance cover, the 'right' to enter the competitions, and to bring my membership costs down a bit! It might also reduce the Association's dependence on swimming lessons, radio control cars, indoor bowls, dancing, roller hockey and weddings (I jest not) to stay afloat. Joining the relevant associations also ensures we have a political voice. I should add that I am not connected to the NSRA, other than being an annual member!

Biggles, you are absolutely right to say the accessibility of this information leaves a lot to be desired.

Finally, good luck to all competing this weekend!

Dom.
    Last edited by another_dom; 21-02-2008 at 05:45 PM.