Thread: Gun cabinets

Gun cabinets

Anybody recommend a make for a 2 gun cabinet preferrably with a top shelf.

Adding to this ;should guns be kept in their slips for any length of time ?

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    I prefare to keep my guns in a proper gunsafe.

By owning FAC guns here in Sweden Im also forced by the law to do so.

However, I used gunsafe long before I got rimfires becouse I donīt like the idea of having them stolen.

Donīt keep guns in gunslips for a long period of time if you can avoid it.

gunslips retain moisture so always remove gun from them after an outing otherwise rusting is inevitable. 80 quid should get you a decent 2 gun cabinet.

karlwb Guest
    I got a very smart four gun safe made by Brattonsound Engineering.
    It's got a locking top box for ammo and a nice sturdy door - ready for any FAC kit if you should go down that route.

Brattonsound Engineering

I got mine from Crawfords in S****horpe for about Ģ120
    Last edited by karlwb; 10-04-2004 at 09:53 PM.

karlwb Guest
    Originally posted by karlwb
    I got a very smart four gun safe made by Brattonsound Engineering.
    It's got a locking top box for ammo and a nice sturdy door - ready for any FAC kit if you should go down that route.

Brattonsound Engineering

I got mine from Crawfords in S****horpe for about Ģ120
    HELP!!!

I can't say S****horpe!!!

Crawford, at No.27 , DN15 8DT

There are several suppliers of Brattonsound, and other very reputable manufacturers, based in places other than that town you didn't manage to mention. I have a gunsafe, and I use it. Although I don't have anything FAC, I do have visitors of all ages to the house, and I make sure that things are out of reach, even, and perhaps particularly, my kitchen knives. I think its called having Grandchildren!!!!!!!

Of course guns lie about for maintenance, cleaning, repairs, drying out, admiration, etc, but they're only out when they need to be out, and not with ammunition. That way I can't forget.

I believe that bits of FAC weapons may be out at any time, but that only those bits necessary to the job in hand may be out, and only under your constant personal supervision.

I hope this helps.

Correction: Brattsound corrected to Brattonsound. We tend to talk, in my circle, of "Bratts", so my mistake!

Alan.
    Last edited by franktheferret; 11-04-2004 at 12:03 AM.

slightly off your main question but, another useless piece of advice always buy the biggest and deepest cabinet money will allow, because spending an extra few quid now is cheaper than buying a second cabinet later on and also second hand (although like rocking horse poo when you are looking for one!) are a nightmare to shift with a huge cash loss when you decide to sell and upgrade!!
    (oh and I recommend brattonsound, I have three!)

Yes Darren, I agree.

Its a bit like buying a freezer. If you double the max possible requirement when you're thinking about buying it, then double it again.

It may then last you half as long as you thought it might.

If you thought you could do without a top-locker for now, which you can't for FAC live ammo, you would probably find it a "must have" within a couple of years. If you thought you only wanted a three-gun, then you'll find that you want another space for something else, while you decide what to sell, if anything.

Installing a gun cabinet is not trivial. It has to be in an architecturally-defined part of the house. If you are to have a cabinet, then you need to define the area, with facility for expansion, and this can cause problems.

Not the least of this can be the war of attrition between the household manager and the statutory requirements.

IME, you might as well pitch for your maximum requirements now. And you may as well pitch for the biggest cabinet you can afford right now, as it will be cheaper in the long run, given the installation probs.

...but then you might be your own boss. I tend to think of things in terms of my own past, as Rumpole used to say.

Don't squeeze it in somewhere it just fits, because you'll probably regret it.

Alan.

FLOs prefer things to be stable

Actaeon Guest
    Swifty - Do you need this cabinet for a FAC application or do you just want somewhere to store your 12ft lb Air Rifles?

If it doesn't have to be a proper cabinet, why not get down to one of those second-hand office furniture places ( I think there's one on the Wicker in Sheffield ) and buy a metal locker. All you'll need to do then is make a simple rack to fit inside.

Just a thought
    Bri

BeePee Guest
    I started off with a supposed 3 gun safe, more like two and a bit, traded it for a 9 gun job, now running out of space. The best idea is not to trade up, just keep the old safe and add the new one. You could finish up with it looking like a mens locker room.

BeePee

Swifty, Go and have a word with John Brown at Lock Stock and Barrel Supplies on Holme Lane or phone him on
    0114 2346222 , He stocks Bratton Sound cabinets plus some others and his prices are very good

Bear in mind that these cabinets are designed for slim centre and rimfire rifles with modest scopes.

I have a 7 gun cabinet and it will hardly take five air rifles with not particlularly big scopes. It will only comfortably fit four.

I now need to buy another one.

I can only echo what others have said: buying small is a false economy. Get the biggest and deepest you can afford.