Thread: golf coarses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

golf coarses

since i live near a golf coarse i was thinking about getting permission about shooting there but i was wondering if it is actually possible to go on there since people play golf there all the time any ideas?

It's still private land, so you're in with a chance. I know a few people who shoot on golf courses. However, how you go about it is a different matter. The person you need to speak to will be the head greenkeeper, who is probably fed up with the furry critters digging extra holes.

Do a search upon gaining permission- it's a topic thats been done many a time before.

PS. No text speak- well done mate

funny bugger..... thanks for the help i will try to get some permission but whats the best way to go about it? shall i write a letter or go there in person?

I'd go in person, personally (no pun intended ). Present yourself smartly, have all details (insurance etc) handy, and maintain a professional appearance and approach. Leave a calling card.

Do a search mate- it's all out there.

do you think they will turn me down because im only 17

Dave Stringer Guest
    Only you can answer that question, mate. Depends on the impression you make with "the man".

Age is a problem. I was 13 when I got my first shoot (and totally unaware of the airgun laws, I might add in my defence). Looking back upon it, I really don't know how I managed it. Probably because the farmers a bit of a funny chap, but a nice man all the same. Now I'm a couple of years older and shooting on many local farms and smallholdings.

You could try writing a carefully worded letter beforehand. If you are 17, how you dress is even more important, in my opinion. Forget the Metallica t-shirt, or the Eminem hoodie (I'm not actually suggesting you wear these things, by the way ) Wear 'country' looking clothes. In short, try to look the part.

i have just sent them an email regards of my enquiry just hope i can get a reply

what should i wear? shirt and tie is it?

I might go for a tie if I was asking at a golf course. As I said, try to look the part.

Go on mate, do a search! The Search button doesn't bite, you know!

im new to this what does the search do?

smiley Guest
    welsh... if anyone can help you its yourself... turn up fairly tidy... pretend you know what your on about (if you are unsure)... e.g you will be an asset... e.g.g i have noticed that a lot of bunnys are ripping your greens... i can solve "most" of your problems and the other "most "important factor... i can help to solve your pest problems "quickly" and "humanely"... on call!... its a nightmare getting a shoot in the first place without without them expecting "john wane" turning up... take your time... present a good plan and take your time mate... but who am i to preach...
    Last edited by smiley; 10-04-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Welsh,
    Smiley and the others have hit the nail right on the head. Dress smart casual ( you won't need to go as far as tweeds, Plus fours and brogues) but don't wear trainers, nor hooded sweat-shirt - considers it as a job interview. Even if you get a refusal, you could still offer to help repair fences, clear fallen branches and such like - which might in itself lead to you pointing out how much vermin damage is being done, and then being the best person to sort it out.

Invest in your own future

Good luck

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

I hate to put a damper on this but...

I hunt rabbits on three golf courses and two school playing fields , i have writton permision...
    but i can use any means EXCEPT shooting.
    I have to run dogs at them or ferret them, Shooting i have found is always a no no.

Well im cleared for rimfire and .222 cf on a golf course and you do have to be very discrete with what you use and stay out of sight if you can. I tend to use fac airgun in the daytime as no one can hear me shooting.
    By the way that was cleared by my FLO on my first FAC aplication aswell so nothing is imposible but i did have to get a reference off a very experienced FAC holder to say i was( safe) before the FLO was happy.
    It very much depends on what they want shot as fox@s were their main problem when i got the shoot, and as mentioned above its the head greenkeeper you need to impress but visit the main office first.
    Last edited by gsxr600; 14-04-2004 at 09:28 PM.