Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ukahft target question

ukahft target question

Hello Gents,

I'm sure this will be obvious to most and only needs clarification for the hard of understanding - like myself.

The ukahft course set up 2008 series states that some targets (with certain restrictions/conditions) can have up to "50% of the Hit zone" obscured.

I take it that "Hit zone" means face plate area and kill zone area?

So in theory you could cover 49% of the face plate AND 49% of the kill zone and still have legal target (providing you met any other relevant criteria).

Am I right or 'a meringue'

thanks gents
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Be interested to see the definitive answer from those who REALLY know these things, but I had assumed that this referred specifically to obscuration (1st time I've had a chance to use that word today ) of the KILL zone. However, if this guess is correct, does that mean there is otherwise NO restriction on the amount of the face plate which can be obscured?

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Cool

HFT is about recreating a situation out in the field (bunny bashing) so would you shoot a rabbit if you could only see his ears! no, so why hide a target?

As the ukahft course set up says the emphasis is on "simulating hunting". Rabbits in long grass, squirrels in trees, rats in pipes, wilderbeast on the african plains etc.

I don't hunt but I would imagine that If a hunter is going for a humane head shot then not every rabbit or squirrel will present itself as an easy 100% percent visible target. Perhaps some hunters would wait for it to pop it's head up for a look-see, perhaps others would pass up the shot completely but some might be skilled and confident enough to take a partly obscured shot.

Perhaps that's the kind of thing the ukahft folks are trying simulate.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 21-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    I spoke to the mnagement earlier in the week/last few days about this very question. My take on the reply was basically a full size ie 40mm plus kill zone that is the hole through which the pellet can go to knock down the target can have 50% obscured. The question I asked was could the central 20mm be obscured leaving 10mm either side the answer I think was yes. However the obstruction must be substantial and ensure following shooters had no advantage from previous shooters who had shot through and destroyed any earlier obstruction.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    I spoke to the mnagement earlier in the week/last few days about this very question. My take on the reply was basically a full size ie 40mm plus kill zone that is the hole through which the pellet can go to knock down the target can have 50% obscured. The question I asked was could the central 20mm be obscured leaving 10mm either side the answer I think was yes. However the obstruction must be substantial and ensure following shooters had no advantage from previous shooters who had shot through and destroyed any earlier obstruction.

Andy
    M'm I was wrong it has to be a full 20mm showing not 10mm either side.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Cheers Andy.

I understand exactly what you mean. I had never thought of setting it up that way.

As far as the plate size/shape etc. is concerned I found a previous post from Sparky indicating that, within reason, you could have any size and shape of plate. "Within reason" seems to be the important part. So I'll just use a bit of common sense (that could be the really difficult part)

for hit zone read kill zone a (it's PC thing)
    º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°UKAHFT°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

www.ukahft.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ludders View Post
    HFT is about recreating a situation out in the field (bunny bashing) so would you shoot a rabbit if you could only see his ears! no, so why hide a target?
    Well said ludders!!! if I hunted and I don't, and I couldn't see as much of my target as I'd like I'd either find another position or simply not take the shot!

If there's one thing that winds me up about HFT it's exactly that! That a target is partially obstructed! it's a ridiculous set up! It brings an element of luck into the shooting! AND YES I KNOW IT'S THE SAME FOR EVERYONE!!!

Having said that even that's not true!!! Some shooters are shorter, some are taller, some are thin and some are not which in itself means some can see more than others in a natural position! I shoot mostly HFT but don't take it seriously because of exactly the above
    Feinwerkbau 800 X - MTC Viper Connect SL 3-12x24
    Experience is the teacher of all things - Julius Caesar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Hello Gents,

I'm sure this will be obvious to most and only needs clarification for the hard of understanding - like myself.

The ukahft course set up 2008 series states that some targets (with certain restrictions/conditions) can have up to "50% of the Hit zone" obscured.

I take it that "Hit zone" means face plate area and kill zone area?

So in theory you could cover 49% of the face plate AND 49% of the kill zone and still have legal target (providing you met any other relevant criteria).

Am I right or 'a meringue'

thanks gents

Would that also mean a 40mm kill at 40 yards with 50% of the kill covered then turns into a 20mm kill would be out too far as the max a 20mm kill is 30 yds I think, Must be a Scottish thing.

GERGE

Disnae bother me George. A canny hit them anyway. As you well know

If you cover 50% ie. exactly half of the hit zone then part would still be 40mm (the diameter) and part would be 20mm (the radius). Too complicated for me. Think I'll let Bill set them out

daft Comparision

I dont think HFT is meant to simulate hunting. It may have started out that way but when you introduce competition between competitors then there need to be rules. When hunting you have no hard and fast rules except your common sense and judgement.
    If you obscure a 40mm killzone to 20mm then i would think the 20mm killzone rule would apply, 35 yards I do believe but dont quote me on that

Thumbs up

If you cover 50% ie. exactly half of the hit zone then part would still be 40mm (the diameter) and part would be 20mm (the radius). Too complicated for me. Think I'll let Bill set them out
    Correct, but at some shoots its the wind thats the problem, (Davie K,) not distance, so that would then be a 20mm kill. I don't know. One for Pete I think? Plus you could cover it vertically or horizontal giving you a 20mm kill at 45 Yards. Or you could just use your tallent, and just set out the course, they were great in the past. See you Sunday. Still would be nice to know the answer, new excuse for this year.

Regards

GERGE

Thumbs up

Did you know this one P, The trigger finger must be behind the firing line & peg when the shot is taken.

GERGE

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ludders View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dia6olo View Post
    Well said ludders!!! if I hunted and I don't, and I couldn't see as much of my target as I'd like I'd either find another position or simply not take the shot!

If there's one thing that winds me up about HFT it's exactly that! That a target is partially obstructed! it's a ridiculous set up! It brings an element of luck into the shooting! AND YES I KNOW IT'S THE SAME FOR EVERYONE!!!

Having said that even that's not true!!! Some shooters are shorter, some are taller, some are thin and some are not which in itself means some can see more than others in a natural position! I shoot mostly HFT but don't take it seriously because of exactly the above
    Might I suggest an alternative definition.
    HFT is a competitive shooting event, loosely based on hunting for vermin, combined with formal target shooting.
    It is undertaken in areas where vermin are likely to be found, but may not be shot. Participants either have, or have not hunted at some point in their lives.
    Using formal targets and rules of engagement, standardises the degree of difficulty and broadens the field of play nationally.
    It is not intended to replicate the hunting scenario, nor is it a simulation of such.
    It is merely a competitive event, for like-minded enthusiats, with rules. Open to safe shooters, who like to dress up at the weekend and do something different.
    Any other interpretation is conjecture and purely individual, as is the degree of enthusiasm for the event.
    That's why we have adopted rule 7 in our part of the world.

arf-tastic!