Thread: Meteor identification help please.

Meteor identification help please.

This might be a bit of a tall order, but I've learnt not to underestimate the level of knowledge (cough geekiness cough ) in this place.

You might remember that I bought a cheap Meteor a while ago, one of a pair that the chap had. Well, the chap decided he didn't want the other one and kindly gave it to me for nowt yesterday. Only thing is, I'm unsure what MK it is as the serial number seems to have worn away. Is there any other way to identify a Meteor (different shape, internals etc)?

Pic here.

The butt pad isn't original, and it needs a rear sight (and seals I suspect) but alright for nowt.

Thanks for any help folks.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Steve, as the stock in the photo has a raised cheek piece, this points towards it (well, the stock at least ) being a MkIII or MkIV Super Meteor. This would've had a vented recoil pad as standard, but not the one in the picture. Hope this helps mate and am still on the hunt for a good .22 Webley MkIII for you... Off to kevin.ronnie's to kill a couple of hours this evening, so I will have a look to see what he has tucked away that I can coaks off of him for you. Ha ha ha . Atb M8: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 27-02-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: coz I can ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Doh! The raised cheek piece should have given the game away. Thanks Gareth.

It's tatty, but I'll source the parts needed for it as funds allow. I like these little guns.

ATVB Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    This might be a bit of a tall order, but I've learnt not to underestimate the level of knowledge (cough geekiness cough ) in this place.

Well, the chap decided he didn't want the other one and kindly gave it to me for nowt yesterday.
    Someone else, apart from me, who considers you as a charitable lost cause.

Good luck with the rebuild. Now, if it had been a HW35 or BSF I could have understood it.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

if the foresight body is plastic and has a metal blade held in by a small metal pin then its about a 1974 mk4.
    the raised cheek piece would indicate meteor super but is it original to the action?

The foresight seems to be all metal, but there is a little hole for the pin you mention located in the groove to take the foresight hood.

Again thanks for all your help chaps.

PS: IJ, if anyone ever gives me a free BSF Mod 65, I'm keeping it to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    The foresight seems to be all metal, but there is a little hole for the pin you mention located in the groove to take the foresight hood.

Again thanks for all your help chaps.

PS: IJ, if anyone ever gives me a free BSF Mod 65, I'm keeping it to myself.
    We could always try breeding them.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    We could always try breeding them.

ATB
    Ian
    Yes, but if we were successful, we would have to keep the location where we introduce them back into the wild a secret, otherwise them nasty airgun hunters will have nabbed them.