Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best silencer for a TX200HC?

Best silencer for a TX200HC?

Anybody care to give me some advice please?

Is the Plenum moderator any good?

Is the new AA Screw in unit any good?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

Hi

I have the plenum insert and the Parker Hale for mine. I've not tried the AA silencer so I can't comment on that.

The plenum insert does quieten the muzzle crack down quite a lot, but isn't as effective as the Parker Hale. The PH is a screw straight in job like the AA but is cheaper at £14.95 with free delivery from Ramsbottoms. It quietens the rather loud crack right down. Some people say that a silencer is a waste of tme on a springer as most of the noise is from the spring itself. Perhaps my HC is quieter than most as most of the noise from mine is muzzle crack and the spring is quite quiet.

Saying that, I use the plenum insert when out and about as it doesn't add any length to the gun, which makes it much handier to lug about! It quietens the gun down enough for most outdoor uses. Funnily enough, with the insert, there's a sort of "boinnnng" sound from the gun! Not there with the Parker Hale. Odd...

Gareth
    Try everything in life except incest & morris dancing - Guy Warrack (1900-86). Ah well, that just leaves incest...

Sid Guest
    Why bother ? springers aren't all that noisy in standard form and the spectacle of the rabbit you just shot flipping onto it's back and doing the funky chicken will be sufficient to scare it's mates off anyway - no matter how quiet the muzzle noise was. Unless you are blessed with a shoot that only has the Clueless Rabbit ( Bigear Moronicus ) on it.

Do any of you people actually go out hunting with airguns ?

Apologies if you need a silencer for HFT use, it's essential for that purpose, together with a Nikko Sniper 10X42 and a free BSA from John Bowkett.

draftsmann Guest
    Originally posted by Sid
    Why bother ? springers aren't all that noisy in standard form and the spectacle of the rabbit you just shot flipping onto it's back and doing the funky chicken will be sufficient to scare it's mates off anyway
    Not to mention the sound of the pellet connecting with bunny cranium. Silencers on spring air rifles are a pretty pointless gimmick IMHO. For around 15 years I did just about all my rabbit shooting with a BSA break barrel springer fitted with a 4x32 scope. The lack of silencer/zoom/mildots/2 stage trigger/multi shot capability proved no handicap.

The gun WAS tuned by Mr Bowkett though

Adrian

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up

Get the plenum incert,its cheap,does not add length and spoil the carbine size of the HC or its looks for that matter and most of all its as quiet as you will ever need it to be.
    Last edited by R. P. McMurphy; 13-04-2004 at 09:59 AM.

Richard W Guest
    have had the new HC silencer for a few weeks, and used the insert.

the insert is cheap, doesn't spoil the look & very good.

the new screw in is expensive, 8" long , pretty heavy (guess approx 200g) but it works better than anything else I've tried to date, and is far more effective than the insert, imho. You still get the "boinnnng" but that's all.

Why bother ? springers aren't all that noisy in standard form and the spectacle of the rabbit you just shot flipping onto it's back and doing the funky chicken will be sufficient to scare it's mates off anyway
    the HC has one hell of a crack without a silencer, and while the bunny flipping onto its back might scare away any close by I'm finding far more undisturbed further along on my shoot than I used to.

Do any of you people actually go out hunting with airguns ?
    well yes, I tried harsh language but it didn't work, been shooting with a TX200HC for many years, it's LOUD without a silencer, why send every bunny in the area running for cover when you dont have to
    Last edited by Richard W; 13-04-2004 at 10:40 AM.

michaeladkins Guest
    I have a rather large SAK rimfire mod on my HC and the difference it makes (sound wise) has to be heard (or not) to be belived.

The HC with the SAK fitted quietens the blast down so much that you can actually hear spring noise.

Downside = It makes the HC look kin orrible and spoils the balance, but if you have a shoot where noise is important (one of mine is on a stables and the horses get a bit twitchy) its worth a try.

The AA plenum insert is IMHO not worth the £8.50 or whatever they charge for it, its basically not very good at all.

BAZ and others on here have also had good results using the Parker Hale jobbie.

Regards

Michael

As Richard says, the HC is LOUD without the silencer. I use the Parker Hale when plinking in the garden so as not to annoy the neighbours. The insert I use when out and about as it closes the gaping hole in the muzzle as much as anything else! Finishes it off nicely as well as cutting down the crack.
    And yes, I do actually take the gun out rabbiting etc.
    Try everything in life except incest & morris dancing - Guy Warrack (1900-86). Ah well, that just leaves incest...

No, I don't hunt with airguns anymore, I don't feel the urge.

If I want to hunt my partners parents are farmers so I can hunt with airguns, shotguns .243's etc.

I am asking about a silencer because I plink in my parents back garden (its 50 yds long) and want to keep the noise down.
    I play a Fender bass, I shoot a springer. I like things to be, well, dependable

Richard W Guest
    I have a rather large SAK rimfire mod on my HC and the difference it makes (sound wise) has to be heard (or not) to be belived.
    would say the same of the AA silencer, I was amazed when I first tried it.

do agree on the looks though, is a great looking rifle without a silencer but for hunting is essential. The insert is ok and I found it quite effective considering the price, it does get rid of the very loud crack.

if looks bother you then dont go the AA screw in, if you want a very effective silencer and dont mind little change out of £40 I would recommend it.

Would also add unlike other screw ins I've used I didn't have to adjust zero, makes no difference on or off.

Richard W Guest
    I am asking about a silencer because I plink in my parents back garden (its 50 yds long) and want to keep the noise down.
    then I would get the insert, in fact you can have mine, dont need it anymore

Originally posted by BIG DAVE C
    Get the plenum incert,its cheap,does not add length and spoil the carbine size of the HC or its looks for that matter and most of all its as quiet as you will ever need it to be.
    Seconded my HC with the insert is a quite as practical whilst still maintaining the advantages of a carbine
    Carl .. AA S410K Nikko Sniper 10x42, AA TX200SR Simmons ProAir 4-12x40, Venom 97K Nikko Sniper 10x42.

john92 Guest
    from what i can see the mk3 is 3ins longer than the HC,and has a built in silencer, so if you where choosing between the two ,and you must have a silencer , the mk3 would be shorter than the HC (with external silencer fitted).

only saying this as im weighing up the pros and cons of which one to get.

m48t02 Guest
    Originally posted by john92
    from what i can see the mk3 is 3ins longer than the HC,and has a built in silencer, so if you where choosing between the two ,and you must have a silencer , the mk3 would be shorter than the HC (with external silencer fitted).
    I went through exactly the same dilema this weekend, and i went and held both of them. Sure the HC is better balanced, as the MkIII is 'slightly' muzzle heavy, but I though the MkIII was the better looking gun. The HC will be *more* muzzle heavy with an external silencer so.... I bought the MkIII and I am not sorry.

Just my 2c.

M48
    Last edited by m48t02; 13-04-2004 at 03:59 PM.

Richard W Guest
    the HC is heavier with silencer (obviously), but can't say it's made any difference to the way it/I shoot.

apart from the fact that it's a lot quieter