Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .36, or .44 / .45

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

.36, or .44 / .45

If you could own only one percussion revolver, would you opt for the medium
    .36 caliber, or for a big .44 or .45: and why?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim, I have been shooting my .44 for a while, it has a massive grin factor but realistically I'm thinking a .36 would be better on the paper.

Less bang/recoil must be better. I light load but consistancy drops off. Less powder/lead would be a bit more ecconomical too. I'm seriously thinking of putting in for a variation to my FAC and adding a .36.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thats a difficult choice.
    I love shooting my .45 ROA, I love its big bang, and how well its made, but shooting my Pieta .36 as it so sweet, is real fun.
    Im glad I dont have to make that choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have two Ubertis in both calibres, a .44 Remington New Model Army stainless steel job, and a Colt .36 Navy.

The .36 is easier to shoot and as you don't need to download it, accuracy is better, and it's cheaper to run, the only downside when I use it is, some of my fellow clubmates call me a sissy for shooting a girls gun.

I was thinking of selling them both and buying a .45 Ruger Old Army, as I like the high quality construction and larger handgrips.

Maybe I should keep them both and buy a Ruger Old Army as well

Ben
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com

But how welldo you / they shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by master_shriller View Post
    I have two Ubertis in both calibres, a .44 Remington New Model Army stainless steel job, and a Colt .36 Navy.

The .36 is easier to shoot and as you don't need to download it, accuracy is better, and it's cheaper to run, the only downside when I use it is, some of my fellow clubmates call me a sissy for shooting a girls gun.

Ben
    I know the feeling. But I prefer to shoot a smaller caliber well, than to miss with a bigger one!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

.36/.44/.45

Ruger .45 is an exellent gun but a bit heavy for me and although mine was totally reliable i prefered to shoot the .44 Rogers and Spencer i had and
    still have now. My advice would be to first find a gun that fits your hand
    and feels "right" then worry about caliber. In my .44 i use 18grns of TS2
    black powder with semolina to bring the ball to near the top of the chamber
    then cover the ball with wonderlube. Different guns prefer different caps
    but mine likes remminton number 11s.
    Recoil is minimal and accuracy is exellent, far better than i will ever be. Plus
    it has a great feel to it when shot with a good old bang, 2 foot flame and
    lots of smoke.
    Cost as far as i can see per shot is about the same what ever caliber you
    choose apart from ball price. If you shoot say 50 balls per outing and .44
    are £2 a hundred dearer than .36 then it costs you £1 more. Quid well
    spent i recon. If you home cast like i do then ball price is not a consideration.
    Get yourself a basic melting pot and mould and you can cast hundreds of
    balls in a couple of hours.
    As a foot note i dont care if i dont hit the bull every shot, its only a paper
    target so it dosent matter if you dont hit the kill zone every time. Just enjoy
    your shooting while we can!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got to be BIG

Hit squat no matter the size, so I would go big and in fact I did with a Ruger Old Army (just about keep it on a A4 size target) and My newly acquired 1860 Army in .44 (no idea where any of the shots go) Don't really worry about the accuracy I just love to make big noise and lots of smoke

Well...

I hope you have a good (and large) backstop, Moonraker!

Cheers!

Jim

bigglesworth Guest
    I don`t shoot B/P anymore ,but when I did ,my 2 favorite pistols were a Uberti 51" Navy in 0.36 and an Armi San Marco 3rd Model Colt Dragoon 0.44.

I felt that if you were going for a 0.44 ,then you might as well go big!, that said if I was forced to choose one gun and one caliber; then it would be the 1851 Navy Colt in 0.36.

Apart from the economy of shooting a 0.36 , the little Navy was just a nice, handy and well balanced gun and with light to medium loads it was very accurate over a 25 yard pistol range.

Big enough

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I hope you have a good (and large) backstop, Moonraker!

Cheers!

Jim
    Don't worry it’s big enough even for my terrible aim (what barn door?)

Thanks!

Lots of great advice posted here mates. Thank you! I must admit that I started this thread leaning more toward the .36, and am now even more inclined in that direction.

Jim

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Me too, me too

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Hi Jim, I have been shooting my .44 for a while, it has a massive grin factor.
    What he said doubled
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

what calibre ?

The Size Don't Matter If You Point It In The Right Direction. I Personally Prefer My .44 Remmy Ss Nma. Over My .36"!! Stuff As Much Powder In The Chamber As You Can, Put An Oily Felt Wad On Top, Then Ram A Waxed Ball On Top. Make Ready Hold A Deep Breath And Grin As You Pull The Trigger. Don't Worry About The Cost And Make The Most Of It As You Will Only Be Able To Talk About It Soon In This Country.

I own three .36's and three .44's, the .36's are without doubt the most accurate. On of the .36's I have a detachable shoulder stock for as well...... I wish I could emulate it's performance without the stock!!!

You're ready for anything, Simon!

Wild Bill must have known what he was about, eh? Shot Dave Tutt through the heart with his .36 Colt Navy. At 75 yards!!!

Jim