Thread: mk1 webley pistol restoration

mk1 webley pistol restoration

i have the above (serial no looks to be 19938 if anyone can give me an indication of year) and it has a couple of issues.....

firstly, it takes 3 shots before a pellet will eject itself from the noisy end of the barrel

secondly, its been painted - badly - by someone in the past

thirdly, wooden grips aren't in back condition but the metal disk on the LH grip looks like its been filed flat for some ungodly reason!

now where the vintage gurus come in....

i am going to need a decent explded diagram / strip down guide.

a list of parts / suppliers i may need (i am guessing chambers is the best place for both)

any idea of cost for having the pistol re-blued and where.

lastly, any idea if i can get a replacement badge????

i want to return it to original condition as it is a cracking little gun and it will make for a very nice project.

tomgriffin is offline I just have the empty tin...
    Hi Jax,

I too would like to know who does a good re-blue (for a fair price ) as I have two webley pistols which I wouldn't mind bringing back to former glory

As for the exploded diagram, this one was all I could find

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...ark+One+Pistol

As you rightly said, chambers seems to be a pretty good place to buy old spares from

I am on the look out for some Webley Junior grips if anyone has any for sale then PM me (hijacked )

If you find a decent place to re-blue then let me know mate, we might get it cheaper if we send a bulk lot to them

ATVB Tom
    If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?
    We Are Tottenham! Super Tottenham! We Are Tottenham From The Lane!

Mk1

Hi
    Chambers website is the best place to start for a parts diagram/list
    John Knibbs also stocks parts for these old pistols. The badges are available from J Knibbs but are not cheap (about£13).

With regard to re-bluing the pistol, most of the cost is in the preparation and if you are happy to do that yourself then you will save quite a bit of money.
    There are many companies who carry out this work and if the pistol is polished for them then the charge should not be more than £10 - £20.
    If the pistol is badly pitted then even a hot chemical reblue/reblacking won't make it look great

If the metal work is deeply pitted then consider cold bluing the pistol yourself, if done correctly it may well produce a satisfactory result and keep the restoration cost down. Try and keep the stamping.

I did retore an old Mk1 that had been painted. The pistol cost me £25 and I spent £30 doing it. It also took about 7 hours. It was then only worth about £75, so prepare for a labour of love. Still there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it
    John
    hold me back !!

I am on the look out for some Webley Junior grips if anyone has any for sale then PM me (hijacked )

ATVB Tom[/QUOTE]

There is a set on that auction site Tom
    They are new
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by jax13 View Post
    i have the above (serial no looks to be 19938 if anyone can give me an indication of year) and it has a couple of issues.....

firstly, it takes 3 shots before a pellet will eject itself from the noisy end of the barrel

secondly, its been painted - badly - by someone in the past

thirdly, wooden grips aren't in back condition but the metal disk on the LH grip looks like its been filed flat for some ungodly reason!

now where the vintage gurus come in....

i am going to need a decent explded diagram / strip down guide.

a list of parts / suppliers i may need (i am guessing chambers is the best place for both)

any idea of cost for having the pistol re-blued and where.

lastly, any idea if i can get a replacement badge????

i want to return it to original condition as it is a cracking little gun and it will make for a very nice project.
    First point, it is probably a 1926/7 (approx. 19,000 were made before 1926 according to Bruces book).
    If your S/N is correct your pistol is a fourth series and will strip from the rear end, firstly remove the barrel from the front hinge, then simply remove the small locking screw at the 1 o,clock position on the rear plug, and carefully remove the plug, keeping some pressure on the plug as it is turned. (When it is fully undone the piston assembly will extend approximately 19mm from the end of the cylinder, so it is not under great compression.
    Before you start it would be wise to obtain a new leather cup washer, a new inside leather washer and a breech seal.
    You will note that there is a hole at the front of the pistol where the barrel hinge fits, it is there to remove the spring guide etc. by pushing a suitably sized rod through.
    Re-assembly exactly a reversal of what you have done, after cleaning and lubrication.
    Removal of the trigger, sear and guard, simply carefully punch out the pins using a suitable punch, barrel latch ditto.
    I am reasonably sure that Troubledshooter on here will have an appropriate diagram of the parts if you ask him.
    I believe that John (pennineswayfwso) obtained some brass inserts from somewhere, again he is very helpful.
    A point to bear in mind is that generally a restored gun is worth less than an honest one, but if it gives you pleasure just do it!
    ATB
    Robin.

Blueing

Colin Molloy, who can be contacted at Manchester Air Guns, provides a re-blueing service. Phone number is 0161 681 7947.

thanks chaps.

if the gun were in original condition then i wouldn't consider re-finishing at all HOWEVER some muppet at some point in the past has painted it, as i said - badly! there doesn't appear to be any pitting or the hint it was done to cover rust, i think it was just owned by a moron!