Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airgun World 1978

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Nice seeing an article about what is now considered to be a vintage gun.
    And from a vintage writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    I seem to remember reading about this in the AGW. I'm sure someone wrote in stating that the scope was fitted to the barrel because of the barrel droop.
    I may be wrong on this, Im sure he will correct me if I am, but I think it was Beetys idea to put a pistol scope onto the barrel to allow for side play in the non adjustable breech pins.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I may be wrong on this, Im sure he will correct me if I am, but I think it was Beetys idea to put a pistol scope onto the barrel to allow for side play in the non adjustable breech pins.
    Nope.

It was my idea to put the scope on the breech block because I couldn't afford a scope with a 1" body tube (plus the cost of mounts) and because the 4x20 scopes I could afford were pants. The pistol scope was much brighter.

The fact that the scope followed the barrel from side to side was a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    And from a vintage writer.

ATB
    Ian
    I think you'll find forward mounted scopes were introduced as part of the late Col Jeff Coopers Scout rifle concept
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

And theres me trying to promote your design abilities when it all boils down to you just being tight.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I think you'll find forward mounted scopes were introduced as part of the late Col Jeff Coopers Scout rifle concept
    Any idea when, Richard?

I certainly wasn't aware of it at the time.

so says jim ''teleskan'' tyler

In a Jeff Cooper article he says he first came across a Remington 600 action in .308 in 1967.

He goes on to say around that time Leupold came up with a 2x pistol scope and he put one on the rifle, ahead of the mag well to give the correct eye relief.

He called this "Scout 1".

Not definitive but HTH,

Regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed W View Post
    In a Jeff Cooper article he says he first came across a Remington 600 action in .308 in 1967.

He goes on to say around that time Leupold came up with a 2x pistol scope and he put one on the rifle, ahead of the mag well to give the correct eye relief.

He called this "Scout 1".

Not definitive but HTH,

Regards, Ed
    Thanks, Ed. I've Googled the Scout rifle this morning and found some fascinating reading material, including several histories, a lot of material by and about the late Jeff Cooper and this account of a forward mounted scope being fitted in the mid-1960s. I'm not a huge fan of centrefire rifles, but I could go for the Ruger photographed on that site...