Thread: Iron Plate Action Shooting - Competition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Iron Plate Action Shooting - Competition

Iron Plate Action Shooting is probably the UK's fastest growing gas powered pistol sport. It took over from Steel Challenge when we sadly lost our 'real' guns'. The competition involves the shooting of several stages where five steel plates either 8" or 10" and set out at varying ranges and different but challenging layouts need to be hit and each sequence is timed. Each stage is shot 5 times and the slowest of the times is discarded, the remaining four being your score. It's fast, it's furious and most of all, it's fun.
    The Sleeping Tigers SC which administers the sport is holding a competition that is open to all-comers on Sunday 30th March at Sywell range, near Northampton. This will be a 6-stage match with a minimum of 150 rounds and registration will be from 9 am for a prompt 9.30 am start. Tea and coffee are available in the clubhouse and hot food is available on site. The match fee is only £12 and for total newcomers (who will need display a club standard of competence) equipment and even pistols can be provided.
    For details of the range go to www.ntsc-online.org.uk.
    For gossip from 'insiders' and extra info go to www.practicalpistoluk.com.
    For specific information on IPAS as its known try www.ipas.org.uk - and finally for specific enquiries you could try me by PM on this board or, better still by e-mail on ipaspro@ipas.org.uk.
    Why not try it? You'll find some of the friendliest people in the shooting world.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Question Gear?

What sort of pistols are most commonly used?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I think you'll find that CO2 pistols are the most commonly used with the Smith & Wesson 6" barrel the most common. Many of the semi-automatics are also represented, Colts, Beretta look-alikes etc. and several of these are seen, often with red-dot sights as there is a separate class for this. We also have quite a few shooters of Brococks (so-called self-contained gas cartridge) pistols as well.

Gary C Guest
    This is amazing fun. If anybody goes and doesn't enjoy it I will personally refund your entry fee.

Thanks for your endorsement, Gary C. We haven't met but I see from records that you attended a match recently and clearly YOU enjoyed yourself. I think your various £12 bets will be safe! At least, you now know why it's the fastest growing pistol sport in the UK.

Whilst it's not essential, it would be very helpful if anyone who intends to come to our match could let us know. We can then arrange an even warmer reception for you!