Thread: Iron Plate Action Shooting - Competition

Iron Plate Action Shooting - Competition

Iron Plate Action Shooting is probably the UK's fastest growing gas powered pistol sport. It took over from Steel Challenge when we sadly lost our 'real' guns'. The competition involves the shooting of several stages where five steel plates either 8" or 10" and set out at varying ranges and different but challenging layouts need to be hit and each sequence is timed. Each stage is shot 5 times and the slowest of the times is discarded, the remaining four being your score. It's fast, it's furious and most of all, it's fun.
    The Sleeping Tigers SC which administers the sport is holding a competition that is open to all-comers on Sunday 30th March at Sywell range, near Northampton. This will be a 6-stage match with a minimum of 150 rounds and registration will be from 9 am for a prompt 9.30 am start. Tea and coffee are available in the clubhouse and hot food is available on site. The match fee is only £12 and for total newcomers (who will need display a club standard of competence) equipment and even pistols can be provided.
    For details of the range go to www.ntsc-online.org.uk.
    For gossip from 'insiders' and extra info go to www.practicalpistoluk.com.
    For specific information on IPAS as its known try www.ipas.org.uk - and finally for specific enquiries you could try me by PM on this board or, better still by e-mail on ipaspro@ipas.org.uk.
    Why not try it? You'll find some of the friendliest people in the shooting world.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Question Gear?

What sort of pistols are most commonly used?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I think you'll find that CO2 pistols are the most commonly used with the Smith & Wesson 6" barrel the most common. Many of the semi-automatics are also represented, Colts, Beretta look-alikes etc. and several of these are seen, often with red-dot sights as there is a separate class for this. We also have quite a few shooters of Brococks (so-called self-contained gas cartridge) pistols as well.

Gary C Guest
    This is amazing fun. If anybody goes and doesn't enjoy it I will personally refund your entry fee.

Thanks for your endorsement, Gary C. We haven't met but I see from records that you attended a match recently and clearly YOU enjoyed yourself. I think your various £12 bets will be safe! At least, you now know why it's the fastest growing pistol sport in the UK.

Whilst it's not essential, it would be very helpful if anyone who intends to come to our match could let us know. We can then arrange an even warmer reception for you!

A timely bump!

Hi Dug, we now have a Air Pistol section here on BBS
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33
    and a few of the lads really like the sound of IPAC and was wondering
    do you have a shoot planned later in the summer.

Jason

.......__________________________
    ....../'---__________--__________l] - >
    ...../_==o;;;;;;;________.:/
    ......),--(_(__)/
    .....),--(..)),
    ...//___//
    ..//___//
    .//___/

One Life. One Shot. Make it Count.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

I really fancy giving this a go, just have to find a club in this area that does it

In response to both Cookie and Photoguy: First off, the next IPAS match is as announced, at Sywell range near Northampton on the 30th March and we have one more where the details have been 'set in concrete', and that is at East Barnet in North London on the 27th March. So far as Scottish Clubs go I only know of one that works with Pistol and that is the Clyde Valley Pistol (Gun) Club based near Glasgow. For full details of IPAS and Practical Pistol matches I would point readers to www.practicalpistoluk.com. There are already two more Practical Pistol matches organised for the Summer at Bisley. These are 'unsanctioned' matches i.e. run strictly to IPSC rules but nothign whatsoever to do with the UKPSA.
    Alternatively for those in the area on the 23rd-25th May we have a demonstration stand for IPAS at The Phoenix Meet where members of the public can 'have a go' with all guns and kit supplied.
    I look forward to seeing you and others at a shoot soon!

Hi Dug,

Thanks for the info, I will look into finding somewhere (even if it means setting something up as practice myself).

Would have loved to come to a shoot but it is a wee bit far to travel... but, we'll see.

Hi Dave you have a PM
    Guy

ave might have one, but I don't! And in response to earlier enquiries, there is an ipas match oprganised for 27th April at East Barnet Shooting Club, Albert Road, East Barnet, North London. Full details on www.ipasorg.uk.