Thread: Whitworth and Kerr Rifles

Whitworth and Kerr Rifles

I was reading about the incredible accuracy of both Whitworth and Kerr rifles used by Confederate sharpshooters during the American Civil War.

Does anybody know how the hexagonal rifling was cut into the barrels of these rifles?

I can understand the engineering of cutting normal rifling into smooth bore tubes but how do you force a hexagonal spiral cut down the length of a gun barrel?

Over to you experts!

Dear Mr Duke - First you start off with a long drill that makes the starter hole, then you cut the rifling 'flats' one by one until you have completed the six-sided bore. You don't 'force a hexagonal spiral cut down the length' of the gun barrel - the cutting tool [it looks a bit like a witch's 'snaggle tooth'] is pulled through the bore in a spiral motion from the breech end to the muzzle.

Is this what you wanted to know?

tac

Here's an Enfield sine bar rifling machine, think he lost perspective on the rails a bit

Love the bunch of leaves under the bore, presumably to catch oily cuttings?

Piccy Link

Smile

Ah, Mr Robin - now I know that YOU are a poster here, I need not bother to answer any more queries regarding the technicalities and history of black powder arms.

That will save me a lot of future embarrassment, I'm sure.

Best wishes

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Ah, Mr Robin - now I know that YOU are a poster here, I need not bother to answer any more queries regarding the technicalities and history of black powder arms.
    Fame in my own time

But, what are you doing on an airgun forum?

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Fame in my own time

But, what are you doing on an airgun forum?
    Well, I was looking for somebody to repair my old Walther LP3, and also trying to find Mark Bradley the black rifle builder, and here I am!

Both questions have been answered here, thanks to the great responses from folks who know more than I do.

Now you are here, knowing far more than I do about BP, I can go away again.

Best wishes

tac