Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just back from the club, newbie night, rushed off my feet looking after them. Did manage one go on the firing line, my choice .44 bp revolver.

Crud grouping but karma level set up for the week ahead.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Smile Good on you, Smokeless!

Or we say in the States, good for you! Both for helping the newbies, and for getting yourself "set" to do some serious damage to those targets, next time! Let us know how you did!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Issue resolved!

You mates have answered my question: shooting those ML's must be just too much fun to replace them with anything as prosaic as a smokeless cartridge pistol!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Well said Jim.

It is a matter of personal likes. M/L is not everyones cup of tea.
    Its a love it or hate it thing, a bit like marmite (thats gone right over Jim's head).

But as you like your cannons Jim I'm sure you would like their little brother.

A boom rather than a bang, smoke instead of none, a big grin instead of a smug "I hit the paper".
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

You're right!

You're right, SC. Much of the shooting world has gotten too technical and high-precision to be really fun.

You mentioned BP cannon: yes, I've fired BP pistols and muskets, just a couple of times: and been around the firing of them, on a number of occasions: but the roar and smoke of that six-pounder cannon, even with a puny 8 or 12 ounce charge...well, it's a rush, for sure!

Of course, we aren't actually firing any projectiles from the cannon, and that's where the smaller BP pieces interest me. I like to HIT something when I shoot: even if only occasionally!

As far as marmite: you're right again, there! I've hear it mentioned before on the BBS: but what IS it?

Jim