Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    I'm tempted by a .357 LBR, could probably still hit paper with it. The .44 is a lot of gun, but to control the beast takes more of a body than I have got,
    I went for .44 as I've got a Marlin 1894SS in 44mag so it seemed easier than messing about reloading two different cartrigdes. The load I use in my Marlin is 6.6grs of bulleyes which is a real nice soft load and thats what I'll most likely use in the LBR WHEN she lets me buy it
    Last edited by moonraker; 07-03-2008 at 06:50 PM.

[QUOTE=moonraker; The load I use in my Marlin is 6.6grs of bulleyes which is a real nice soft load and thats what I'll most likely use in the LBR WHEN she lets me buy it[/QUOTE]

Well i followed your advise when i asked for a .44 target load and am well pleased,i actually use a little less than the 6.6 you use.But the results so far have been pretty good.

b/p v nitro

Simple, do both. Although i have a .357 lbr which i shoot in postal comps i also have a .44 Rogers and Spencer and a .44 lepage muzzle loaded pistol.
    The Taurus lbr for me is more accurate than the black powder revolver probably due to the length of barrel, wrist brace and sights. Its also more practical in that all the loading ect is done at home so you get on range and just shoot. The Lepage is probably just as accurate as the lbr with its set trigger and good sight picture, but being a single shot muzzle loader its rate of fire is much slower. The R+S is my favourite and cant think of anything that i would replace it with. Easy to load, cheap to run, more accurate than i am and just plain old fun to use.
    BUT.. If i could have a .357/44 with 6" barrel and no wrist brace would i still shoot charcoal burners.. Yep! Just more fun to shoot.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Yes

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes,
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Yes

Before the ban I used to shoot both and ended up with a 6 inch 686 S&W revolver and a single shot flintlock and percussion BP pistols. I found the single shot a bit easier t get on with. I used to have a Rogers & Spencer revoler but I had trouble with the caps coming off because of recoil and then it chain fired despite caking it in grease. I used to end up covered in muck as well compared to the cleaner single shot machines.

Just my observations.

Allan

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Hmmmm.....I can see how this could be a problem! Anyone else experienced this?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Caps

Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN114 View Post
    Before the ban I used to shoot both and ended up with a 6 inch 686 S&W revolver and a single shot flintlock and percussion BP pistols. I found the single shot a bit easier t get on with. I used to have a Rogers & Spencer revoler but I had trouble with the caps coming off because of recoil and then it chain fired despite caking it in grease. I used to end up covered in muck as well compared to the cleaner single shot machines.

Just my observations.

Allan
    I had the same problem with no.11 caps coming off so I switched to 10s and cured the problem.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I've got close to 23 on ticket, including 6 B/P revolvers and I swap the lot for my "top four" cartridge handguns!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN114 View Post

Just my observations.

Allan
    Do you shoot these muzzleloaders in competitions, Allan? What do they call them: Cominazzo (flint) and Kruchenreuter (or something like that) with the percussion?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
    Well i followed your advise when i asked for a .44 target load and am well pleased,i actually use a little less than the 6.6 you use.But the results so far have been pretty good.
    I'm glad to be of service, to be honest I've been thinking of dropping the powder load a bit (to save on powder)

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    to be honest I've been thinking of dropping the powder load a bit (to save on powder)
    A man after my own miserly heart!

Jim

Thumbs up BP pistols

went down to the range Sunday, shot 50 rounds .36 BP MAGIC, and I wasn`t the only one shooting BP, Cheers Tezz