Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you stillshoot a BP pistol, if you could shoot a cartridge pistol?

Some of the crud left in my black-powder pistol looks and smells kind of like marmite

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Marmite is a sort of yeast extract.

It was a by product of the brewing industry. Sort of the scum you get on top as beer brews.

You're over here soon so perhaps you should put it on your things to do list .
    Well, I reckon I've consumed a lot of that indirectly, with all the beer I've drunk over the years: but yes, I'd like to "give it a go".

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Now, FOR SURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post
    Some of the crud left in my black-powder pistol looks and smells kind of like marmite

My wife said that she was ambivalent about it before, but that comment REALLY made the decision for her, whether to try it or not!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Before the ban I used to shoot both and ended up with a 6 inch 686 S&W revolver and a single shot flintlock and percussion BP pistols. I found the single shot a bit easier t get on with. I used to have a Rogers & Spencer revoler but I had trouble with the caps coming off because of recoil and then it chain fired despite caking it in grease. I used to end up covered in muck as well compared to the cleaner single shot machines.

Just my observations.

Allan

Hmmmm.....I can see how this could be a problem! Anyone else experienced this?

Jim

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Caps

Quote Originally Posted by ALLAN114 View Post
    Before the ban I used to shoot both and ended up with a 6 inch 686 S&W revolver and a single shot flintlock and percussion BP pistols. I found the single shot a bit easier t get on with. I used to have a Rogers & Spencer revoler but I had trouble with the caps coming off because of recoil and then it chain fired despite caking it in grease. I used to end up covered in muck as well compared to the cleaner single shot machines.

Just my observations.

Allan
    I had the same problem with no.11 caps coming off so I switched to 10s and cured the problem.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

I've got close to 23 on ticket, including 6 B/P revolvers and I swap the lot for my "top four" cartridge handguns!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    I've got close to 23 on ticket, including 6 B/P revolvers and I swap the lot for my "top four" cartridge handguns!!!!!

So what's on your top 4 wish list ?

Easy......

Beretta 96 Elite II
    H&K P7M8
    S&W Performance Centre 586 Carry Comp and,
    Colt SAA

(and perhaps a Hi-Power for nostagia!!)

Why, do you want to trade?!!!!

any time your in my part of the world just let me know mate

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    23: My Lord! Nice to own, but too many to shoot.

Jim

All of them, Jim! Thankfully, I reload and cast!!!

Muzzle loader doesn't HAVE to be black powder

Has anyone here heard of the Patriot muzzle loader?
    This is a true target pistol in 32 (I believe a 38 version is due out) it looks a bit like the FAS or B&G UIT target pistol. Fantastic grips, a low bore line and really good target sights.
    They use 5 or 6 shot blocks like the harmonica pistol of old. Muzzle loading into the block with 1 grain of Bullseye and a 32 WC bullet they use a small pistol primer to set it off.
    If you can, try one, they are almost as good as the real thing. Groups are as good as I can get with a cartridge pistol.
    I believe they are made in CZ or Poland.
    Also Alan Westlake will make a nitro conversion of some black powder pistols for PPC etc.
    No connection to Patriot or AW.

never heard of it but it sounds very interesting, any links for it ?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy1 View Post
    sounds very interesting,
    ......and very expensive! Have a look here....

http://www.glossover.co.uk/blog/index.php?p=426