Thread: Anshutz 250

Deep in the Woods with the little people..Bewdley

Anshutz 250

<copied from "general" forum..doh!>

Could one of you fine Gentlemen give me some idea of value on the above-mentioned rifle?

I reckon that this gun has not been used since late 1970’s and that prior to that it had very little use anyway. Dad bought it to practice with when he shot target rimfire and as I recollect I was only about 13 or 14 when he did that down at King Edwards School in Brum so that’s about mid 70’s. It has fired two pellets since then when I tried them out last night! It fires cleanly, but I’m sure that it could do with a strip and clean. There are some very fine pinpricks of rust on the surface of the barrels. You can’t see it easily with the naked eye, but I’ve tried to highlight it with a close-up flash photograph. I have not tried to clean it as I don’t know how and don’t want to risk damaging the bluing.

Don’t shoot me down if the dates are wrong…years of abuse have kind of scrambled the ol’ grey matter… serial No is 71065

Cheers, Jono AKA “The Bodger”
    Last edited by theartfulbodger; 06-03-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Links corrected...
    “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”….

A couple of 250s in good condition have been advertised/sold on here for about £150 recently so that could be a guide.

Yours is the later model, available, I think, from the mid-70s right up to the early '80s, with the long front sight rail and stippled pistol grip and forend.

While it has many good points, including the superb quality of manufacture and finish, this rifle can be a pain to service if the hyrdraulic oil-filled anti-recoil damper is leaking, though apparently the damper seals are standard commercial sizes and therefore likely to be available.

Basic service parts such as piston rings, piston bumper and the plastic breech seal may be very difficult to source nowadays, so the precise condition of the internal wearing parts will make a difference to its value. Replacement springs are available from Jgairguns in the US.

Someone might like the look of that butthook, so adding to the value. Also it looks like you have an adjustable aperture/filter attachment of some sort on your rear diopter sight. These can be worth £20 or £30 on their own if sold on the auction site.

I agree with Garvin in principle, if the damper itself leaks due to corrosion then one will have to be made as they are no longer available & sometimes it's the lesser of the two evils to break the gun & sell it as spare parts, spare parts are very scarce indeed.

If you have the original butt pad & rear sight iris put them back on the gun & sell the after market accessories separate!
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Thanks for you reply Gents...There is no evidence of any corrosion at all except the pinpricks on the barrel and the "action" (is that the right word?)... looks pristine. I'm selling the rifle (and the pistol) and using the money to buy a local Scout troop something suitable for their use, so I'll sell it complete for £150 plus whatever it costs to get it to the purchaser.
    Last edited by theartfulbodger; 07-03-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”….

I'll take that if I may. PM sent. Thank you.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    I'll take that if I may. PM sent. Thank you.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262692

Sorry.. my fault, can someone remove this thread please?