Thread: Hi. New member seeks advice

Hi. New member seeks advice

Hi all.
    I was moving house recently and dug out my air pistol from my shooting days some 25 years ago, a Walther LP53.
    At the time I was shooting regularly I was using two Walthers.
    An LP3 Match and the LP53.
    Of course the latter is not strictly speaking a proper target pistol because it jumps about in your hand but the LP2 was a proper recoiless air pistol.
    Sadly I sold the LP3 but I'm really glad I kept the LP53, still in it's original box with the spare rear sight blades and wooden cocking aid.
    Anyway the reason I'm telling you this is because finding my old Walther has put into my mind that I'd like to start doing 10m pistol again, but I don't know how to go about finding a club.
    Is anyone else in the Plymouth area, and if so, could you recommend a club.
    Also need some recommends on what's good these days for the shooter on a tight budget of about £350
    I've had a look at a FAS 604 which I really liked the feel of and another shop has a Feinwerkbau model 80, both within my budget but of course times move on, however I simply cannot justify, (or afford), what's being asked for the latest compressed air pistols.
    Sorry to rattle on but your thoughts appreciated.
    Andy.

Hi Andy
    welcome to the forum, there will be some very experienced shooters along shortly I don't doubt.
    The FAS and the FWB80 are both excellent pistols. I purchased a the latter about 8 months ago and have slowly been improving, my best so far is 93/100, so the gun in the right hands is capable of competing with the expensive stuff, the FAS likewise is a very competitive gun. Regular use with each will see you scores increase.

Best wishes either way.
    Graeme
    PM me for money saving prices on aquarium fish foods.

match pistols

Hi Andy
    As Graeme says both the FAS and FWB's are great pistols still capable of competing at club level and above

Serowman has a FAS604 for sale for £170 which is about the right price for a good one.
    A FWB 65 or 80 will cost around £200 depending on condition

These are very different pistols, the FAS will need new o-ring seals every 3/4 years whereas a FWB is pretty bullet proof and just keeps on going with the minimum of maintenance

Another nice pistol and very cheap is the Gamo Compact (about £140 new)

It is possible to pick up a nice PCP match pistol for about £400 +, in fact there is a Morini for sale in Sales Section now for this price. However you then need a bottle

You could always look out for another LP2/LP3. A good one that has been resealed goes for about £175-£275 depending on which model and condition

If you go onto the web site of the NSRA (Bisley camp), there should be some info on club locations in your area
    Good luck
    John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 07-03-2008 at 09:54 PM. Reason: club info added
    hold me back !!

Thanks guy's for the advice.
    An LP2 would be nice but I'm guessing that spares would be a nightmare now.
    To compound my problem sourcing 2nd hand, I'm left handed.
    My local gunshop has a brand new FAS AP604 and tells me that these are now available after a long time out of production.
    It's £440 which I suppose isn't bad considering the cost of the more modern pre charged pistols.
    The only thing is that the want another £30 for the L/H one which I flatly refuse to pay on principle.
    Why sould left handed shooter be discriminated against in this way

Quote Originally Posted by andyals View Post
    Why sould left handed shooter be discriminated against in this way

Second hand FWB 80, custom grip from here http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog...ml?cPath=23_24 (LH option no extra cost) job done, and happy years of shooting await you

IMHO, although it is good value for a new pistol, a gamo compact new is a false economy when you can get something like a s/h FWB 80 for not much more. I had one and found the trigger "disappointing".

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Just a thought, but how about a Rhom Twinmaster?

The 'Top' version (for which LH grips available - but I don't know if this is 'extra') is only just over £300 new, so a good 2nd hand one would probably be 'do-able' with your budget, including a bottle.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member