Thread: Cyclops

Cyclops

Chris a very nice bloke who I met a couple of times at Bisley airgun club, he died of brain tumour, he knew for quite a while that he was going to die and showed fantastic courage, he posted on here right to the end, even making jokes about his illness as it eventually prevented him form shooting his air rifle

RIP Chris

Baz
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Merlyn Guest

Rip

so sorry to say i didnt know the gent, but my respects all the same

RIP

Gary C Guest
    I never met Chris Joanes, and he died long before most on here will have joined and so most will not.

However, I read his posts for the last 6 months of his life, where he detailed his fight against his brain tumour and subsequent debilitating illness. I can remember his goodbye post as his tumour kicked in:

"This will be the last time I log onto the BBS. I am becoming unable to decypher the dancing jumble of letters that appear before my eyes...."

The rest escapes me but was written with such courage and dignity that I, and several others, sat with tears streaming down my face.

His courage both inspired and humbled me to the point where I, and many others, made the journey to pay our respects at his funeral.

Chris died - IIRC - in about 2004

RIP Chris.

If this is the guy that wrote the post entitled 'My brain' then yes it was truly an emotional post. I'm not ashamed to say I cried as I read it.

Its a pity these posts have been lost forever.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by foxshooter View Post
    If this is the guy that wrote the post entitled 'My brain' then yes it was truly an emotional post. I'm not ashamed to say I cried as I read it.

Its a pity these posts have been lost forever.

Mark
    Yes I believe that was one of his posts mark, a truly inspiring and touching post that bought things into prospective for sure, I never knew the gentleman
    but that said it all.

Barry
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn View Post
    so sorry to say i didnt know the gent, but my respects all the same

RIP
    Same here, I never knew the man but in my experience the people who post on here have been very fair and an absolute privilege to know. It is always sad when one of the BBS crowd passes away & I pass on my sincerest condolences to his family.

RIP

Having known Chris for about a year before he sadly died, would also like to add that he had a cracking sense of humour as well.

just one story I can remember was a informal Hunter comp a Bisley one Sunday. Chris came of the course shacking his head with not a very good score which he could not understand why.

The next Wednesday evening he let us all know why, His wife had found some pellets laying about and decided they should be put away in his pellet pouch.

You guessed it mixing different brands and he had not noticed.The air was some what blue I can tell you.

RIP Chris

Dean
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

The measure of a man is what he leaves behind.

The fact he is still making us smile (pellet story) and making us sad (last post on BBS) now 4 years after his passing, means he lives on in our lives.

Bless him.

To be good, one must do good.

I didn't know Cyclops - only by seeing his posts of this BBS. He wrote very wortwhile and interesting posts on here.

After Cyclops passed away Gary C arranged a postal shoot through this BBS and as a testiment to this chaps popularity raised a sizeable sum of money which was presented to his widow.

Things like this make the BBS so much more than just another website imo.

R.I.P Cyclops
    Stan

God Bless Chris

Chris, a good friend and hunting companion to many - myself included.

I had the great pleasure of teaching the Duke of Edinburgh Award at Bisley for a few years with Chris when I first joined the BFTO way back in the early 90's. His teaching notes - passed to me when he had to spend more time on the committee - are a reminder of his humour, I updated them but keep a copy of the originals.

A worthy and considerate committee member for many years.

A nicer chap you could not find - generous to a fault.

A great anecdote teller.

Never a dull moment with this guy and he is sadly and greatly missed by myself and many, many others.

His legacy is the countless times his name comes up with stories and tales almost every week at the club he helped build and visited right through to the end.

Miss you Chris.

cos.mos
    When I die I want to go in my sleep like my father, not screaming, like the passengers in his car ...

Mods!

Please, next time a member passes like this, post a link to here on ALL sections. This guy was a cracking bloke and I'm shocked to find this thread by 'chance'.

RIP Chris.
    Something for 2013 . www.rojeans.co.uk

I met him - In fact I bought his Air Arms S200 which was a gun I fell in love with and it shot brilliantly.

He sold it as he was becoming unable to shoot anymore and he wanted it to go to a good home. Hopefully, I fulfilled that wish.

I only met him the once but I can say that he was very down to earth about they way his path in life had led him. I took an instant liking to him.

We went outside and did some shooting and talked about this and that until he got a bit tired and called it a day.

I wish I had known Cyclopse better.

Struck me a good fella.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I remember Chris well from the BBS - his posts during his illness were full of courage, it really made you think about what really counts in life. He was a very brave and nice guy.

Remembered Here Fondly - Michael
    Salad is a dish best served cold....

Chris a good man with a personality as big as his cats: D (What the heck did he used to feed them must have been steroid based I'm sure) He introduced me to BFTO and took me out on a few of his shoots. As an ex squaddie I enjoyed his company very much.

God bless you mate

TheWhoUK
    If you prayer for the rain - you have to deal with the mud!

Thewhouk@yahoo.co.ok