Thread: BSA Meteor mk2 stock refinishing advice.

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central

BSA Meteor mk2 stock refinishing advice.

Bought this lovely little gun at my local farmers market. It was covered in horrible camo tape, that took me an age to get off. Jonballs sorted the mechanics of it for me beautifully for a very nominal sum. I have repainted the barrel with plastikote satin, thats looking pretty good now. Bought some rebluing paste from JSR, thats sorted the screw heads, and made the pins that hold barrel on etc look a lot smarter. Have rubbed down the stock, removed all the old varnish (the camo tape had done most of that already!) and am using some very fine paper now to get a smooth finish. I would like to keep the wood a fairly light colour, preferably not staining it if possible. My question is what would be the best product to use on it? Was thinking I should probably oil and wax it, but not sure what to use. Dont fancy varnishing it too much. Must admit I have fallen in love with it a bit. I learnt to shoot with a mk1 meteor, taught by my granddad. I know that gun is still in my uncles loft, if I can get him to part with it!

jonballs is offline born to shoot, shoot to hunt, hunt to eat
    i use abbey stock oil and a little bit of a mix i`ve made if you want some and to see the results let me know when you are next n bury and i`ll bring some to the stall

cheers
    jon
    jon barber

touch wood i`ve never had a bad sale on the bbs

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Colron American Walnut wood dye (two coats minimum) then a good quality bees wax worked in with 00 grade wire wool in swirlt circle actions when ever you can (on newspaper on lap in front of the telly for a few evenings usually does the trick ), then buffing with a lint-free cloth for a few evenings too and job done : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I have just done a stock for an AA200. I used Rustins walnut spirit stain, 2 coats followed by about 8 coats of Rustins Danish oil. Result can be seen athttp://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/guns.htm It comes out quite light and not unlike the original sort of Meteor stock colour.

Cheers
    Dave

Its not hitting it with a hammer, its knowing where to hit it and how hard !