Thread: HW45 questions

HW45 questions

On the advice from another member:

I bought one of these last year .177 cal. Quite happy with it at first, periodic check with the chrono it settled down to a good 5fpe. A few thousand shots later and its not grouping very consistantly and the power has dropped to just under 4fpe AA field and the spring during cocking sounds like a rusty steel door.

Is this normal?

Is there a HW45 tuner on here?
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Quote Originally Posted by webranger View Post

I bought one of these last year .177 cal. Quite happy with it at first, periodic check with the chrono it settled down to a good 5fpe. A few thousand shots later and its not grouping very consistantly and the power has dropped to just under 4fpe AA field and the spring during cocking sounds like a rusty steel door.

Is this normal?

John
    sound like a grating noise?
    if so it might be the spring guide location,for some reason the guide is inside the piston itself so theres nothing in the other end of the spring to prevent it from bending during the cocking process.
    i put the guide in the other end of my old .22 hw45 chamber during reassembly after i tuned it up which IIRC prevented the spring bending and reduced the action noise.

beware of stripping your new 45 as the bolt holes are slightly misaligned and the bolts are that tight,they round the hex key holes out.deliberate anti tamper attempt i don't know but damned annoying.

mine is exactly like that and the only way around it is to drill the bolt heads off.

Quote Originally Posted by webranger View Post

Is this normal?

John
    If you don't fancy keeping it, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by seanyboy View Post
    If you don't fancy keeping it, please let me know.
    If your looking for a second hand HW45 I'd buy an older model. Bloke I shoot with at the WKTN Club bought one apr 10 yrs old. Three fields and a dyke better than mine. Smoother more consistant better grouping. In comparison mine seems rattly and tinny.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    sound like a grating noise?
    if so it might be the spring guide location,for some reason the guide is inside the piston itself so theres nothing in the other end of the spring to prevent it from bending during the cocking process.
    Yes it sounds like a grating noise. I have no gear and nowhere to do my own tuning work I rely on others for that, dont mind paying for a good job. Im looking for a HW45 guru thats willing to do the work at an affordable price.
    John

Thanks for the advice John.
    Will keep my post on the wanted section going.

again thanks
    sean.

Possibly you had a pre-mature spring breakage. It's not common to hear about breakage in only a couple thousand shots but flaws happen.

Maybe try some moly paste in the cocking slots and then shoot some pellets to splatter the lube inside the tube. This will tell you if the problem is lack of lube. If not, then I would suspect the health of the spring.

http://my.tbaytel.net/~coopers@tbaytel.net/HW45Review/

Cheers,
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by TCooper View Post
    Possibly you had a pre-mature spring breakage. It's not common to hear about breakage in only a couple thousand shots but flaws happen.

Maybe try some moly paste in the cocking slots and then shoot some pellets to splatter the lube inside the tube. This will tell you if the problem is lack of lube. If not, then I would suspect the health of the spring.

Cheers,
    Todd
    Thanks I'll give that a go.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TCooper View Post

Cheers,
    Todd
    I tried to coax some Moly grease through the cocking slot not very successful. However it has dampened it down a tad am now looking at the trigger setting.
    John