Hi Chaps

As it seems from browsing the forums that my rifle is a bit rare I thought i would put up some info on it for those interested.

My rifle is a Sig Hammerli Mod 401 .177 bought 1979 for 6yard and 10m target shooting, it had been recommended by several at the Cromer club I joined as a beginners i.e. cheaper but quality rifle, worked through my summer holiday to save the money for it.
So it started with diopter sight and within a few months I added the optional Hammerli sleeve barrel weight, which you dont see very often, thought it was a great gun and used for about 5 years, but then motor bikes and girls became more interesting and it got mothballed in the shed.

About ten years after that I briefly joined a local field target club and resurrected the Sig, unfortunately shortly after this it broke its mainspring which destroyed the anti-bear trap, as an engineer I decided to rebuild my now beloved sig and using a maximiser kit from Gunsport for a HW77, replaced the spring with an ox and fitted a turned down PTFE piston seal, unfortunatly no spares available for the anti bear trap and I wasn't that bothered about it anyway so I left it off, refinished the beach stock with a darker stain and a nice oil finish and fitted an adjustable butt plate.

Also removed the front sight and fitted a new turned sleeve to fill the gap at the end of the barrel weight so I could fit a Niki sterling 3-9 x 40 , it was surprisingly good in this configuration although it now had slightly more of a twang on firing it was not off putting. I don't know what the power output is but it seemed slightly better than the original which was quite low.

For the last 15 years its hardly seen the light of day, but now the kids are looking after themselves its nice to get back to my early interest.

Have noticed that the early air arms side levers appear to either be close copies of the Sig Hammerli or use many of the Hammerli components, be interesting to find out if the spares are interchangeable, if so I may have to gas ram my gun.

Below Pics