Thread: ANSCHUTZ lr22 MATCH 54

ANSCHUTZ lr22 MATCH 54

Regards
    Andy
    Last edited by ANDY T; 21-05-2009 at 02:53 PM.

They're shot in target competition up to 100yds. Heard that some areas used to run 200yd events, but don't think these are/were common.

PaulH is offline A hunky chunk ball of baldy luuuuurve.
    I used to shoot my 1907 upto 100yds and it would still group very well, a few weeks ago my nephew was shooting for his school (they are the posh part of the family) at Bisley at 50 yards with an old match 54 and that grouped well he just needs to learn to read the wind. I would always shoot Eley Tenex through mine and elevation was always very consistant you just needed to know your wind at 100yds

atvb

Paul

100 yard comps are very common with the bull at that distance being around 1 inch. There have been comps held at 200 yards but they are very uncommon, There used to be one held anually on the old 200 yard shorts range at bisley (roughly where the new shotgun layouts for the comonwealth games are now) IIRC. I belive this was shot on the old size NRA fullbore target.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    100 yard comps are very common with the bull at that distance being around 1 inch. There have been comps held at 200 yards but they are very uncommon, There used to be one held anually on the old 200 yard shorts range at bisley (roughly where the new shotgun layouts for the comonwealth games are now) IIRC. I belive this was shot on the old size NRA fullbore target.

Alan

In Holland we started 100m competitions:
    www.100mairgun.nl

The Leslie Williams shoot is 200yards. The wind is a problem at this distance but should still group within 2".

Back in the late fifties at the Powder-mill range,Battle East Sussex,a club member would bring his BSA 12/15 .22 and Eley Club ammo while we were shooting .303 at 200yards.If it was not blowing a gale he would thrash us,being able to group well in the bull.

Peter.

What's a good group ? this is relative term. I shoot around 150 rounds a week at 100 yards and I'd guess that a match rifle in good condition in the right hands should group ten shots to an inch at 100 yards, and I'd include a match 54 in this category. At 200 yards, what the rifle could do and what the shooter could achieve are two different things, I'd guess that a rifle as above could more or less group within 2 inches, but not many shooters could achieve anything like that unless in very still conditions.
    Consistency of velocity could throw these figures out by a large amount as a mean velocity which changes by 20 fps could give rise to an extra drop of 1inch at 100 yards (if my calculations are correct), which makes a 1 inch group sound pretty good to me.

Vic T

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    There have been comps held at 200 yards but they are very uncommon, There used to be one held anually on the old 200 yard shorts range at bisley (roughly where the new shotgun layouts for the comonwealth games are now) IIRC. I belive this was shot on the old size NRA fullbore target.

Alan
    Yup. I used to enter this, using my (now long gone) Annie 1813 Supermatch.
    It was more than capable of 1MOA groups or better using 'selected' batches of Eley Tenex and - in my relative youf and when shooting 3 days a week - did deliver sub 1" groups on 100yd ranges as long as they were not too wind infested. On the accurately described (and now also extinct) very exposed 200yds range at Bisley, 1MOA was a dream; 2MOA was a very good day. I do not recall shooting there in windless conditions.

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

The Leslie Williams 200yrd shoot is in two weeks time at Bisley if memory serves me correctly. I'll be there - no doubt laying in a large puddle!