Thread: ANSCHUTZ lr22 MATCH 54

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Leslie Williams shoot is 200yards. The wind is a problem at this distance but should still group within 2".

Back in the late fifties at the Powder-mill range,Battle East Sussex,a club member would bring his BSA 12/15 .22 and Eley Club ammo while we were shooting .303 at 200yards.If it was not blowing a gale he would thrash us,being able to group well in the bull.

Peter.

What's a good group ? this is relative term. I shoot around 150 rounds a week at 100 yards and I'd guess that a match rifle in good condition in the right hands should group ten shots to an inch at 100 yards, and I'd include a match 54 in this category. At 200 yards, what the rifle could do and what the shooter could achieve are two different things, I'd guess that a rifle as above could more or less group within 2 inches, but not many shooters could achieve anything like that unless in very still conditions.
    Consistency of velocity could throw these figures out by a large amount as a mean velocity which changes by 20 fps could give rise to an extra drop of 1inch at 100 yards (if my calculations are correct), which makes a 1 inch group sound pretty good to me.

Vic T