Thread: Theoben bottle advice, wanted

Question Theoben bottle advice, wanted

Can anyone tell me the "life" of one, please

I have a 400cc bottle, which appears to have 2 dates on it.

air ps 5045 pt.6 1987.

08/98...with a symbal before the numbers.

hi

think because of the size and density that these buddy bottles are not under the same regs as standard compressed air cylinders...not 100% though
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Quote Originally Posted by sidesy View Post
    think because of the size and density that these buddy bottles are not under the same regs as standard compressed air cylinders...not 100% though
    Thanks for that..

Does anyone have any more to add...Please

Only from a technical point of view. Due to the relatively small volume to surface area and thickness of the cylinder walls, stress to the material is reduced. This means the usual problems associated with pressurization and de-pressurization of BA cylinders or dive cylinders are greatly reduced the smaller the container (keeping in mind that the thickness of the walls increases proportionately the smaller the container gets). For this reason many people who have worked with life support cylinders (BA, SCBA etc...) are taught to release and fill very slowly as the rapid temperature and pressure changes can stress the aluminium or steel. I know that I still keep to my training and fill my buddy bottle slowly to reduce stress. If the bottle seems to be in good shape externally and there are no tell-tale signs of abuse to the cylinder you should not have any problems. I am still using 2 SCBA cylinders that were manufactured in 1980 but due to their careful maintenance/filling and regular inspections am totally confident that I am safe. My opinion (although not professional on buddy bottles) is that the bottle will outlast many of the parts on the actual rifle.
    An Aussie proud of his submarine commanders

Quote Originally Posted by leons View Post
    air ps 5045 pt.6 1987.
    Hi Leon because the buddy bottles are under a certain volume(not sure what it is ) they are exempt from the normal testing rules so as long as it appears fine for use and your happy and it doesn't leak its fine, although i'm led believe if its over 2 years old and you send it off for a new valve Theoben insist they are tested
    Regards Kev
    That was what i aimed for stupid

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    Quote Originally Posted by leons View Post

air ps 5045 pt.6 1987.

1987 is not a date,they all have that on.

kevG

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    Many Aluminium presure vessels suffer stress fatigue over time. The life expectancy seems to be 10-15 years. I can vouch for 10 years and aluminium being a good idea: I had a well-used 10-year-old aluminium-framed mountain bike that had a frame failure (main tube snapped) due to the fatigue of years of use.
    Weihrauch recommend disposing of the HW100 air reservoir after ten years for safety reasons.

I'd say if it's ten years or more, get a new reservoir.
    I'm sure there will be people come along and say that they're been using one for nearly 20years. Good luck to them. I wouldn't take the risk.

Thanks

....for all the input..

I contacted Theoben re the "life" of a buddy bottle, below is their reply.

leon
    yes the 400 bottles have a ten year span then they have to have a test on them
    the date is around the top of the neck and will read the month then the year ie
    05/06

theoben