Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential HW97K damage?

Potential HW97K damage?

i have a serious question bothering me for sometime now. My father took my rifle recently for hunting twice (which is a Weihrauch HW97K with a Bushnell elite 3200).Now, he is an experienced hunter but with shotguns not airguns. What he did was loading and was keeping it cocked until prey appeared and then firing it. Now i know that keeping the airgun cocked is a bad thing to the springs which results to a damage & a decrease in the power of the gun but he only fired 50 or so bullets. Is there any chance that the gun is damaged?

Talking

Unless he has kept it cocked for a few days then I doubt it, even then it would be very minimal.

Jason.
    RAPID MK2 TTR2.
    BUSHNELL LEGEND 5-15-40

If you wait until a target appears, then try to cock and load an HW97k in a hurry......you are likely to damage........your finger tips

P

Quote Originally Posted by subfire91 View Post
    i have a serious question bothering me for sometime now. My father took my rifle recently for hunting twice (which is a Weihrauch HW97K with a Bushnell elite 3200).Now, he is an experienced hunter but with shotguns not airguns. What he did was loading and was keeping it cocked until prey appeared and then firing it. Now i know that keeping the airgun cocked is a bad thing to the springs which results to a damage & a decrease in the power of the gun but he only fired 50 or so bullets. Is there any chance that the gun is damaged?
    Using bullets in it won't help either the barrels on airguns are not rated enough...SORRY....

I personally think the theory of the rifle losing power after being cocked for extended periods is less likely to apply to the majority of modern airguns with decent quality springs fitted.

Perhaps at one time it might have been the case if the quality of the spring was suspect.

For instance I recently resprung my HW80, it was running a little quicker than I would like, so I cocked it and left it locked in the cabinet (with a note attached to remind me it was cocked) for a week - guess what no reduction in velocity, so it is due to have a coil lopped off, close and regrind the spring end to achieve what I am looking for.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about with your HW97K. In fact I would find it exceedingly difficult to hunt without carrying the rifle loaded and ready to use..

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    I personally think the theory of the rifle losing power after being cocked for extended periods is less likely to apply to the majority of modern airguns with decent quality springs fitted.
    Seconded. Even when cocked, a quality spring should still be in it's elastic state and will not damage it's performance.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    A new spring is only £10 for a standard one, £20 for a posh one, so its not a big deal if the life of the spring is shortened a little.

It doesn't damage the spring permanently.

A spring kept under tension will lose power over time.

Three days IIRC, according to a recent article in Airgun World.

But as soon as it's re-cocked it's business as usual.
    Born To Be Mild.

It wouldn't be a problem to leave it cocked for a long period of time,i've heard that it can actually do the spring some good to have a little bit of compression on it sometimes,any decent modern spring gun wouldn't find this a problem.

here comes another another one:

what fps should i expect with jsb exacts??

You should get high 700's. Impossible to say exactly as depends on the FPE of the gun. Most springers improve after the first couple of tin have been shot and the internals bed in.

that gun advertises 951 fps but with lighweight pellets as weihrauch told me via email. Many reviewers say that after 1000 shots you should expect high 800's and very low 900's if you are lucky

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    My 77K which is the same gun inside is doing 780 - 785 with JSB exact 4.51s.

Going to cut a coil (maybe need 2) off the spring though to try to get it down to about 760fps. I want to get a lesser and smoother recoil and the difference in trajectory is negligible, about 1/8 inch difference at 45 yards.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

recoil is not a problem on that gun. It is minimal. i want to get the most i can from power though

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed
    Legal limit with JSBs is 800 fps so late 800s/900s is only on if you have a firearms certificate.

Having weighed a couple of tins of exacts, although they are nominally 8.44 grain in actuality I had from 8.29 to 8.52.

I wouldn't want the gun to be averaging much more than 790 as you could easily be sent over legal limit with that variation in pellet weight.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing